Packout 10” Tote.

HiltiWpg

Where to start?

Firstly, I can not recommend anyone buy this thing unless you just want a casual tool bag.

There is a laundry list of problems with this tote.

2391152b1b6d94a5ad399826ee601b06.jpg

1. Pockets.

How do you screw up a pocket? Just ask Milwaukee engineers and designers.

Let’s make them so small that using one part of a pocket renders the surrounding pockets unusable. Also, let’s make them so shallow that anything over 6” will flop over.

9679c40f7304e6736ddf2d96089b310f.jpg

2. Pocket placement.

Thought that #1 would be hard to beat?

Hell no! Let’s mount these small, shallow pockets so close to the mouth of the bag that tools can now fall out, or better yet, get in the way of the carry handle.

Also, if you have a fair amount of tools in the bag, the high positioning of the pockets will cause the side to collapse into the bag.

061fdca5ccf17a95436ae59c4273ca86.jpg

e3bc98de1989e368f21aa4430cb6e030.jpg

129cb6430849d715d9b168058e7d2da7.jpg

3. Zippered pocket.

If all you need to carry is a single piece of paper folded in half, this pocket is for you!

Seriously, you can’t fit anything in this pocket.

b90fe190d6931e0550367eb37a41dc0c.jpg

4. Shoulder strap.

Doesn’t come with one. Can’t buy one separately. Fill it with tools and the carry handle gets obstructed. Seriously? Should I kick it around the job site?

5. Wonky divider.

Has a nice divider that is too big and bows dramatically to one side of bag. Not a deal breaker, but poor quality control. Makes for constant pushing to maneuver things inside.

6. Outside pockets.

One side is great if you carry the smallest Sharpies and nothing else. The other side has these 2 weird wedge-shaped, shallow pockets that are angled perfectly for stuff to just fall out of.(not even kidding)

952f2517a4527ffccc1def02e6769c83.jpg

7. Tape Clip.

It just doesn’t have one. For real.

Bottom line, save your money.

Or buy a real tote.

I picked up the Veto.

2a8a9249bd3b85f70613418727f5ac29.jpg

051447ad362da70aa8f19a3940926d23.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Quite obviously, your problem is that you're using tools that are just too long.  You need to switch over to stubby drivers and a compact pocket level.  I bet one of the new Milwaukee LDMs would fall out of those front pockets nicely and the zippered compartment is perfect for extra batteries - no tape measure needed!  If you need a shoulder strap - well it sounds to me like you need to eat your Wheaties and bulk up a bit or just carry fewer tools. 

See, there's no problem with the bag - you just need to adjust the way you work... psh...

😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for this, I've been considering this tote. I don't see a problem with the zipper pocket, I keep my hemostats, a double sided pick/scriber in my CLC. I don't like when there are big items on the body side of the bag because it hurts if you sling it to your back so you can carry something without the strap sliding off your shoulder.

I think the AWP version of this bag seems more usable. I wish more bags that you can't see in person would have more pictures and pictures with them loaded with tools. Even just your pictures tell me it's not a good bag for me. With stock photos I would have spent a lot of money on a Veto TP4 that wouldn't have worked for me. I think they might get me with the bag they're planning on releasing within the next year...Not sure exactly what it will look like but I described a larger TP4 with more space for test equipment something sorta like a a OT-LC or OT-MC but with the back chopped off (wide but narrow front to back) and they said one was in the works.

Another one where I wish they showed it with tools is Toughbuilt pouches, tons of options and neat features but no pictures with tools. I'd love to have a pouch where I could fit my DMM and my CCTV tester...right now I'm carrying it separate which is not ideal but I also don't want a big, heavy bag.

• Like 1

Another one where I wish they showed it with tools is Toughbuilt pouches, tons of options and neat features but no pictures with tools. I'd love to have a pouch where I could fit my DMM and my CCTV tester...right now I'm carrying it separate which is not ideal but I also don't want a big, heavy bag.

You should take a look at this Klein.
It’s a good “in between” bag/tote.

http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/tradesman-pro-organizers/tradesman-pro-shoulder-pouch-0

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, HiltiWpg said:

You should take a look at this Klein.
It’s a good “in between” bag/tote.

http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/tradesman-pro-organizers/tradesman-pro-shoulder-pouch-0

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been looking at that one too. The problem is the CCTV/HDMI/Cable tester is kind of large. The front pockets easily should fit the Fluke but the other tester is like twice the width because of the huge screen. I like the Veto's middle plastic box and CLC has some. CLC's small square bag is probably the ticket but soo many pockets will be empty. :(

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for your illuminating review, it is very insightful. Suffice it to say that 10" tote will not be on my shopping list, what were they actually thinking with those shallow pockets, absolutely useless!

I just picked up the 15” tote.
It’s night and day different. Hard to believe it is made by the same company.

The pockets are normal, the handle is normal.
The only real gripe I have is the two exterior wedge pockets are on the 15” as well. Same odd angle that makes it hard to really use them. Stuff just wants to fall out.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 9:05 PM, HiltiWpg said:

I just picked up the 15” tote.
It’s night and day different. Hard to believe it is made by the same company.

The pockets are normal, the handle is normal.
The only real gripe I have is the two exterior wedge pockets are on the 15” as well. Same odd angle that makes it hard to really use them. Stuff just wants to fall out.

I ended up getting a CLC 8" tote and it has two pockets like that. I've found small things fit in there well. I have a BNC cable in one and an outlet tester in the other...it just has to be short(cannot extend above the pocket more than a 1" at most) and fat to stay in the pocket. I think the Wiha bit holder set would fit in there well or maybe a small tool roll.

• Like 1

I ended up getting a CLC 8" tote and it has two pockets like that. I've found small things fit in there well. I have a BNC cable in one and an outlet tester in the other...it just has to be short(cannot extend above the pocket more than a 1" at most) and fat to stay in the pocket. I think the Wiha bit holder set would fit in there well or maybe a small tool roll.

Good stuff!

Other then Veto, I haven’t found manufacturers that take the time to think out pocket placement and shape.
Seems like a lazy design. I would prefer the pen/bit pockets over those wedge pockets!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HiltiWpg said:

Good stuff!

Other then Veto, I haven’t found manufacturers that take the time to think out pocket placement and shape.
Seems like a lazy design. I would prefer the pen/bit pockets over those wedge pockets!

I'd like rectangular open pockets (not as deep as these wedge but same footprint) or flapped pockets. CLC makes some good designs, that's why I keep buying them. Pen pockets need to be on the outside so you can easily grab one while its on your shoulder. That's one reason I've stayed away from square totes and it's been annoying getting used to it, there's no clear inside portion of the bag so I end up grabbing it backwards from how I set it up.

I'd like rectangular open pockets (not as deep as these wedge but same footprint) or flapped pockets. CLC makes some good designs, that's why I keep buying them. Pen pockets need to be on the outside so you can easily grab one while its on your shoulder. That's one reason I've stayed away from square totes and it's been annoying getting used to it, there's no clear inside portion of the bag so I end up grabbing it backwards from how I set it up.

I actually like CLC/Kunys/Dewalt.

My only issue with them was the lack of hard bottoms and the material would wear quickly.

I haven’t looked very hard at them in awhile though.
Also, AWS at Lowe’s, those are some decent, well priced bag too.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HiltiWpg said:

I actually like CLC/Kunys/Dewalt.

My only issue with them was the lack of hard bottoms and the material would wear quickly.

I haven’t looked very hard at them in awhile though.
Also, AWS at Lowe’s, those are some decent, well priced bag too.

I agree with both those statements and that's why I have been looking at alternatives. Luckily my bags aren't terribly abused so they should last several years but most would massively benefit from a sold base. I try to be aware of what I put my bag on too. When I'm doing pool equipment I try to find a solid place to put it. Outdoor security stuff I just leave it on my shoulder...its stuff like well pumps that will eventually get to my bag. 

• Like 1