New Shed Floor

AlphaGatorOG

Hey guys re doing my shed floor, it was built in 95 and they used osb board, it was pretty rotted out. Its an 8x8 shed I tore out the old floor with my M18 sawzawll with 9.0 battery and my dead on demolition hammer and it went smooth. I plan on using 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood for the new floor and I'm going to coat it with a couple coats of KILZ so it's somewhat weather proof. I need to notch out the plywood every 2 feet to fit around 2x4 studs. I'm going back and forth on if I should pick up the M18 jigsaw or the M18 multi tool to notch out the plywood. Let me know which tool you think I'd be better off using! 

I'd go with the jig for consistency of cuts and ability to make the entire notch with repeatable ease. Can definitely do it with the omt, but it's likely not going to be as clean over all the total cuts. Omt shines in a lot of other areas, but unless you're just using it to clip out the interior cross cut, after using a circ or something to cut in, the omt is far from the best choice for traveling cuts.

• Thanks 1

I'd definitely say go for the jigsaw.  OMT's are great for areas when you can't get a proper saw in place, but making lots of repetitive cuts is going to drive you crazy.  You could probably even use a circular saw and go even faster.

One thing I'd suggest is getting exterior grade plywood - marine if you can find it.  Even the painting the bottom with KILZ won't last very long on the underside if it's getting wet.

• Thanks 1

Marine plywood isn't waterproof, it's made with glue that's not water soluble.  You would still need to finish it with something that IS waterproof, like a good exterior grade paint or sealant.  The benefit of MGP is that it doesn't de-laminate if it does get wet, but it still can rot if it stays wet and doesn't dry.  You could also go with pressure treated plywood - that's often quite a bit cheaper if you can find it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, SetBuilder said:

The M18 jig saw is pretty kind of out dated, I bought one at HD used it a bit and returned it. They have 2 new jig saws coming out in a few months. See if you could borrow a jig saw in the meantime.

Hi I'm new here. My old man has been asking me to get him a jigsaw and I don't really know how to pick one. What would I look for? Read this article https://www.sawinery.net/jigsaw/best/ but I also wanted to ask your opinion. Budget is not really an issue. Thanks id advance.

2 hours ago, tosaytheleast said:

Hi I'm new here. My old man has been asking me to get him a jigsaw and I don't really know how to pick one. What would I look for? Read this article https://www.sawinery.net/jigsaw/best/ but I also wanted to ask your opinion. Budget is not really an issue. Thanks id advance.

We probably need a bit more information on what your dad is going to be doing with the jigsaw and what does his toolbox look like.  If he wants a corded jigsaw to do basic woodworking / handyman stuff, the Bosch barrel grip JS572EBK is one of the nicest you can buy, until you step up into Festool / Mafell territory.

If he has a cordless battery platform, then get the one that's part of that platform.  Dewalt makes a really nice 20v (DCS331B).  The Milwaukee 18v one is really outdated and about to be replaced this fall with new models, so I'd shy away from that.  The Milwaukee 12v jigsaw is ok, but suffers from lack of a blower.  The Ryobi 18v is decent, but sometimes getting blades to fit is harder than it should be.  Makita has a cordless 18v barrel grip variant that's supposed to be available in the US soon, or you can go for the 12v version.

TLDR - corded - get the Bosch.  Cordless - get whatever one fits your dad's preferred battery platform.  If he needs one right away and doesn't care about battery platform, get the Dewalt.

Just FYI - I'm a total nub compared to the pro construction and woodworking guys around here and really only know about jigsaws because I did a bit of research recently to figure out what the options were.  I went with the Festool Carvex (corded) and picked up the Makita barrel grip from a crew member for cordless duties.

That Dewalt 20v D handle is prehistoric. I’ve got a brushless barrel Makita and I’m not opposed to waiting for Dewalt to get with the times.

Buying a jigsaw for someone else; buy the best one that works with the platforms they’re in, or buy a corded model. 

I feel like there is some basing of the current gen M18 jigsaw. It’s not the greatest, but for this little project it should be more than sufficient. It was mentioned earlier and I agree, you could make the side “left and right” cuts with the jig, then knock out the little “tab” end piece with the OMT. 

Also, I wouldn’t be too worried about it rotting. Just paint both side with KILZ and it will last plenty long enough.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...