M.O.D. Clamp Rack for my Garage.

Jronman

I have drawn up a couple M.O.D. (My Own Design) clamp racks that could be used in my garage. I am in need of a rack because storing my clamps on the ground isn't ideal. I am interested in hearing what your guys opinions on the designs are.

Design #1

This is a more traditional design loosely based of a space saving design @rrich1 suggested to me but with quite a few design tweaks. This design is simple in design with dedicated spots for my 8 Bessey K-Body Revo clamps and 2 similar style Irwin parallel clamps. The design will hold all my current K-Body style clamps with room for 12 more. The middle edge without the notching will be able to hold my "quick grip" style clamps. The shelf portion will maybe be for small oddball clamps I might get or extra shop storage. I like that the shelf is longer than the second design which could potentially hold a longer oddball clamp.

348069681_ClampRack1.0.thumb.PNG.01e5098b7e24eda961b0e9d3622096e8.PNG

Design #2

This one is not as traditional in design but I think it works. The design feels more interesting and original to me than the first design. This design will also have the same amount of storage for my K-Body style clamps and maybe a bit more for "quick grip" style clamps.

1447364364_ClampRack2.0.thumb.PNG.2bb033033ff47a001335822383701e40.PNG

Both designs are a bit over 32 inches so I can fall onto studs. The bracing of both designs fall onto studs and the second design has a bit more bracing in the middle that can tie into a third stud. I would expect the second design to be able to hold a bit more weight than the first design.

• Like 1

I think they are both pretty slick ideas dude. I built mine based on a standard wall mount design and naturally there is a longer run meaning wider footprints. I see where you think the second design would be stronger because of the middle brace but it looks like you would use more plywood than the first without too much more storage gain. I like that you are thinking ahead though, the one thing a woodworker NEVER has enough of is clamps! I have attached my two current storage racks and you’ll see you get more in place than I do using either of your designs.

A3785696-6539-49E1-962A-05CDC9C31115.jpeg

C837DB2E-4E67-4E69-B3EA-6A76F5B9FEB0.jpeg

@ChrisK I like your first design. The storage space above for drills and whatnot seems very useful. One design element I wanted in mine was the ability to access any clamp and yet use a space saving design. So many times you see racks where if you want the clamp in the back you have to take off all the clamps in the front. The 2 extra edges in my second design add about 12 inches each of my space for quick grip style clamps.

2 hours ago, Jronman said:

@ChrisK I like your first design. The storage space above for drills and whatnot seems very useful. One design element I wanted in mine was the ability to access any clamp and yet use a space saving design. So many times you see racks where if you want the clamp in the back you have to take off all the clamps in the front. The 2 extra edges in my second design add about 12 inches each of my space for quick grip style clamps.

Yeah it’s a pretty simple set up with one 1x12 pine board.  I have multiple chargers in the box along with the drills. The clamp storage is for my Dewalt XL clamps and my 12” f style clamps. 

The larger rack rack is one clamp deep with the shelves serving as clamp supplies, drill bit storage etc.  All of the rack is plywood and drilled into studs to carry the massive weight of all of those parallel clamps. I will need to make another rack for several deep throat clamps that currently live on the floor in a bag it’s on my short list to complete.

• 1 month later...
On 8/29/2018 at 1:08 AM, Toolyz said:

Great idea. I'd like to do a rack like that too so it's easy to organize my tools

Yeah building your own storage is a great idea because you can design it to fit your needs. I plan to design a charging station after i finish building my clamp rack.

• 4 weeks later...