Makita Cordless 10" miter stuck in bevel position

robZ

New to forum, seeking answer to problem with Makita X2 LXT 10" cordless compound miter saw. Have been working with tool for almost a year, have put it through its paces and cut all kinds of bevels with it. Today it got stuck at 22.5 degress (right side) and I can't get it to budge. I suspect the lock release button is somehow broken or jammed. I took off the back plastic housing hoping to get at it, but it turns out I'd have to do more disassembly to access it. Has anyone had this problem? I've been deep Team Blue for ten years but this is causing me to reconsider my loyalties. Brought my job to a screeching halt today. I'm at a remote off-grid site and can manage with workarounds but I'd rather fix the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The same thing happened to me today.

22.5 degrees.

it must be a design problem ...and I suspect as the popularity increases with this piece of crap saw...we will see more people who have had this same problem

I babied mine...probably only cut 100 boards with it.

Now its worthless..

Thought about buying another and wasting $600 bucks...but now that I see other people that it has locked in the same EXACT position....I see it a design flaw

So...I won't waste money on it again

I have been getting into Makita lately...but I think I'm going to go a different direction now

On 9/27/2018 at 4:41 PM, rcarnes911 said:

This post makes me happy I went with the DeWalt emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I was really going to go with the Mak, I really think the design is solid but alas...I went with the Milwaukee. I think the DC on the Mak is probably the best available without spending serious coinage but many issues with the release. Maybe they have worked them out, it would be nice to see this machine working top of the line

• 3 weeks later...

Created an account to show you guys how to "fix" your 22.5° beveled stuck Makita miter saw.
There is a black switch at the back which is turned 45° clockwise. This enables the 22.5° and 33.9° fixed bevels.
Slightly move the head of your miter saw to release the pressure on this black switch (else you can't move it), now you can pull it back with your other hand and turn it 45° counterclockwise. Problem solved. Hope this helps some people.

BevelStuck.jpg

a.jpg

b.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

To me the answer lies in the middle of stupid tool design... and stupid operator. It took me hours to figure it out. 

The vacuum cowling sets the miter lock. Definitely  a design flaw.... easily found in the instructions. Not an intuitive answer...  because you can't see the lock when it self sets.

This is still the best portable miter I have ever used, even if it hurt my pride because I had to look at the instructions. 

23278.jpeg

23282.jpeg

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the good description and pictures to help me resolve this issue BevelSwitch.

I am borrowing my son's saw so I don't have the instruction manual.

I tried turning the bevel switch multiple times and I didn't think I could turn it without breaking it. The key was to slightly move the head to release the pressure, as you suggested.

Thanks much for the help.

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Note on page 12 of the operators manual it warns to not tighten the Bevel Adjustment Knob too tight or it may cause a malfunction of the locking mechanism of the bevel angle.  I thought I had broken my brand new machine ( hadn't even cut a board yet ) until I read the October 18 post above which said to move the head of the miter saw slightly - and that solved the problem.  Thank you and Thank God for the internet!  Saved me a trip to the Factory Service Center.  Now to go study the damned manual more thoroughly before I really do break it!  

• 8 months later...

I have the problem of the bevel not stopping at 0 degrees as well. From what I can tell, part 220 is not springing back from part 221. I have taken my saw apart and it takes a tremendous amount of force to push this lever back over. If part 220 is stuck in the down position then your button, or part 223, will act as dead and your saw will think you are making right hand bevels. Normal operation is that 220 should always spring to the upmost position unless pushed in by 223. 220 rests on the set screw found in the owners/installation manual on how to set for 0 degrees. I am looking into beefing up the spring. 

https://imgur.com/a/7KFl5oL