What is status of DeWalt 40 volt Max batteries for my outdoor tools?

Izon

Hi all, newbie here.  After much deliberation a couple years ago, I got rid of my gas trimmer and leaf blower. I wanted to be done with the

hassle them. So decided to go with the "best" and got the DeWalt 40 volt Max versions of trimmer and blower. Overall I've been very 

happy with them and especially impressed with the power and life using my trimmer. Now I'm thinking of adding a spare battery to the

two I have but having difficulty finding the 40 volt versions. Seems they've gone to just the 20volt and the 20 / 60 flex battery.

The couple I've found available want a premium of nearly $200. I paid not much more for the entire tool, battery, charger in the first place.

Are they discontinuing these and if so that really BURNS me.  Their stuff is not cheap and I was confident with this brand I would be making

a very good choice for near and long term. If they are doing this, they are killing maybe thousands of good working tools that are all over

the country. They could at least have made the 20/60 a battery that would include the 40 volt step and have a 20/40/60 option.

Anyone dealing with this and know of what if anything can be done to replace my 40 volt batteries at a reasonable price?

Thanks!

Honestly, I'd consider flipping them while they're still considered current. You can get them on eBay for a reasonable price (not cheap)...but it's probably smart to move into 60V or a different like like Milwaukee, Kobalt or Ego. I'm a Milwaukee guy but I recommend Ego. It's entirely understandable if you want to get out of the Dewalt line completely, that's one reason why I'd never trust the Tonka brand.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all, newbie here.  After much deliberation a couple years ago, I got rid of my gas trimmer and leaf blower. I wanted to be done with the
hassle them. So decided to go with the "best" and got the DeWalt 40 volt Max versions of trimmer and blower. Overall I've been very 
happy with them and especially impressed with the power and life using my trimmer. Now I'm thinking of adding a spare battery to the
two I have but having difficulty finding the 40 volt versions. Seems they've gone to just the 20volt and the 20 / 60 flex battery.

The couple I've found available want a premium of nearly $200. I paid not much more for the entire tool, battery, charger in the first place.

Are they discontinuing these and if so that really BURNS me.  Their stuff is not cheap and I was confident with this brand I would be making
a very good choice for near and long term. If they are doing this, they are killing maybe thousands of good working tools that are all over
the country. They could at least have made the 20/60 a battery that would include the 40 volt step and have a 20/40/60 option.

Anyone dealing with this and know of what if anything can be done to replace my 40 volt batteries at a reasonable price?

Thanks!
The reason there is no 20/40/60 is because the numbers don't work. In a 20/40 the cells are in parallel pairs for 20 and all in series for 40. In a 20/60 the cells are in parallel groups of three and all in series for 60. All cells are always in use for the same watt/hrs. More voltage or more current. For a 20/ 60 that also does 40 some of the cells could not be used for 40 whether there is just one cell or two or three in parallel at 20. It is possible with 6 cells in parallel groups at 20, sets of 3 at 40 and sets of 2 at 60 but that would be an insanely expensive, huge, very heavy battery.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

A 20/40/60 could work if you had 30 cells but realistically that is not an option currently because the battery would be massive. I imagine a battery the equivalent of 2 flexvolts in size on an impact driver.
Right you are. I missed the lowest common denominator.. My bad. Back to grammar school.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• 8 months later...

It is discontinued.  I bought the string trimmer, chainsaw, and extendable hedge trimmer last year and now they are all listed as discontinued by the local big box stores.  The remaining stock is 50% off so I decided to double down and buy a small hedge trimmer and an extra string trimmer.  They were less expensive than buying a new battery alone.  

Hopefully, they give me a few good years of service.

thats too bad. It was a tool line that wanted to stay around but didn't really have a place. The intent was good but the execution was not ideal. The batteries in theory had the best watt hours of DeWALT's 3 ope lines but wasn't really enough to warrant going into the 40v line.

I don't believe they are discontinued, just some of the big box stores are getting rid of them.  If you believe the marketing, they are more for contractors than homeowners which are used to not getting a lot of their stuff from big box stores anyway.    I had them and think they worked great.  I have been donating my set to my father though as I replace them with either the 20 or 60v items so that way I have one less platform to worry about.   

The batteries will stay expensive. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...