Mastercraft plastic tool issue - chemical breakdown?

athomas

Has anyone had an issue with plastic tool shells chemically breaking down?  I am asking this question, because it appears I have it on one of my cheap tools that is about 10 yrs old.  I have plenty of plastic cased corded and cordless tools that are perfectly fine and have been for many, many years.  I do have one that is breaking down chemically.

The tool in question is a Canadian Tire Mastercraft heat gun.  I don't use it much, so it sits most of the time in a metal cabinet. I went to use it recently, and discovered that the handle was sticky.  I thought I had accidentally transferred something from my hands or gloves to the tool.  Upon inspection, the whole tool case was gummy on the surface.  The front and back part are different plastic and don't have the same issue.  I tried to wash it off using a soap and water solution to no avail.  I could wipe the soft plastic off the surface if I used enough force.  I suspect I could clean it off if I found the right cleaner as well.  I left the tool to sit for a while to see what would happen, and it is getting worst as time goes by.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced any plastic tools reacting like this?  I only have 2 Mastercraft tools (the dark blue ones before they went with the new lighter blue), so I can't say if it is an issue with Mastercraft tools in general, or just that one tool.

Over molding on the grip will breakdown. It depends on the chemical it’s exposed to, some are much worse.
It has a funny smell to it, like barf.

Some housings can react with other cleaners, solvents etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In the 80s a lot of screwdrivers and nutdrivers, notably from Xcelite, Vaco and Craftsman were made of a plastic called cellulose acetate butyrate or CAB for short. They used it because it was chemical and shock resistant. THAT is the stuff that smells like barf. I have quite a few pieces. It often forms a white coating on the surface that is mistaken for mould. It can be scrubbed off but it comes back. I was not aware anyone was still using it for tool parts. It is a slightly rubbery plastic that is usually some transparant color.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The plastic of my tool is what I thought was the same plastic as every other tool.  It isn't overmolding used for comfort grips.  It is actually the tool structure itself.  I was thinking about it last night, and I think I had the same problem before with another Mastercraft tool and just didn't know it at the time.  The handle on my Mastercraft chop saw had gotten slightly sticky, but not as bad as this one.  I happened to upgrade to a Dewalt 12" slider, so I sold the Mastercraft one.  

I have never seen this on any of my other tools nor on any of the tools at my workplace.  

I've seen that happen on plastic too, never on a tool before...oddly the only one that comes to mind is the plastic on the Ferrari 360s. I think they were using something around that time that had a degrading property of turning to sticky, almost tar-like.

A lot of rubbers break down into a tar like substance too.

Some chemicals accelerate the reaction, chemical solvents like Goof off professional strength

Goof off was made to remove latex paint so it is not surprising that it acts on various plastics. Don't they warn you to avoid contact with plastic? Thermo plastics, the kind that melt from heat are the most vulnerable. Thermosetting plastics like bakelite are immune from most stuff.

I've seen that happen on plastic too, never on a tool before...oddly the only one that comes to mind is the plastic on the Ferrari 360s. I think they were using something around that time that had a degrading property of turning to sticky, almost tar-like.

A lot of rubbers break down into a tar like substance too.

Some chemicals accelerate the reaction, chemical solvents like Goof off professional strength

12 hours ago, Mycrossover said:

Goof off was made to remove latex paint so it is not surprising that it acts on various plastics. Don't they warn you to avoid contact with plastic? Thermo plastics, the kind that melt from heat are the most vulnerable. Thermosetting plastics like bakelite are immune from most stuff.

Probably, the professional strength has warnings about using it on a lot of stuff. It's not something to take lightly, use something else if at all possible. 

• 6 months later...

Yes! I had 4 older Mastercraft dark blue power tools with the "softfeel" coating on them (the craze in the 90's if you remember softfeel pens everywhere) and stored them for several years after I moved. Now they ALL have a sticky feel to them as the surface has obviously broken down. I actually found this thread by searching to see if otherpeople had this issue. It's horrible aFond I can't use a tool that leaves my hands sticky like that. Fortunately I have upgraded to Bosch and Porter Cable and will probably give these old tools away to someone in need.