QUESTION ON A DEWALT SLIDING COMPOUND MITER SAW

DRGREW

I developed a rust spot on a DW708 Saw rail and tried to find a part # for it.  Could not locate one on any parts display, which led me to believe that they don't sell them.  It appears to be about the only item on the machine that cannot be replaced.  Has anyone ever heard about one of these being replaced on this or a similar Dewalt Sliding compound saw?

Thanks for any advice or information.

DRGREW

Edited by DRGREW

I had that saw, and it had a broken component that was made of cast aluminum.

No luck anywhere. Not on eBay, not on ereplacement parts.

I wonder if you could polish the rusty spot off? 320 grit sandpaper and then finer and finer.

Your best bet may be to find another used or broken one and scavenge parts off of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try using a green scotchbrite pad. Then some WD40 or similar water displacing fluid. It’s gentle enough to not ruin the finish like sandpaper will. Also, balled up aluminum foil and vinegar works well too. Not as abrasive as a steel wool. Just remember to clean and treat with WD40.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Try using a green scotchbrite pad. Then some WD40 or similar water displacing fluid. It’s gentle enough to not ruin the finish like sandpaper will. Also, balled up aluminum foil and vinegar works well too. Not as abrasive as a steel wool. Just remember to clean and treat with WD40.

On a lot of forums the short lasting properties of WD40 have been discussed. WD stands for water displacement and it was originally to dry out wet electrical equipment by displacing the water. It is non conductive. It is also mostly solvent so it leaves very little lube behind. For a sawdust collector like a miter saw, a dry lube is the best bet. However WD40 is fine for the cleanup process with some mild abrasive.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

On a lot of forums the short lasting properties of WD40 have been discussed. WD stands for water displacement and it was originally to dry out wet electrical equipment by displacing the water. It is non conductive. It is also mostly solvent so it leaves very little lube behind. For a sawdust collector like a miter saw, a dry lube is the best bet. However WD40 is fine for the cleanup process with some mild abrasive. 

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I am fully aware that WD stands for water displacement, that’s why I mentioned water displacement in my post!

Dry lube isn’t as effective while removing the corrosion. The purpose of using the wet is to make the rust removal and cleanup easier. I wasn’t implying anyone coat a wood cutting tool with a liquid water displacement as that would be silly.