DW744

Mike55

Hello, first posting here. I've been getting into woodworking lately and finally got my first power saw. It's a dw744 pictured. I really wanted to get a guard on this thing because i'm still an amateur lol. Once I started searching I noticed there was a product recall on the DW744. What I dont understand is why this version doesn't have a serial number, I'm worried it needs to have the recall work done and the prior owner didn't do it. I bought this used, is there no serial because its older? Also, can anyone give me any insight on how to get a guard for this model. Thanks!

IMG_0407.JPG

IMG_0405.JPG

5 hours ago, Mike55 said:

Hello, first posting here. I've been getting into woodworking lately and finally got my first power saw. It's a dw744 pictured. I really wanted to get a guard on this thing because i'm still an amateur lol. Once I started searching I noticed there was a product recall on the DW744. What I dont understand is why this version doesn't have a serial number, I'm worried it needs to have the recall work done and the prior owner didn't do it. I bought this used, is there no serial because its older? Also, can anyone give me any insight on how to get a guard for this model. Thanks!

Is the serial number elsewhere on the saw? Maybe on the top? Looks like there is more information near the top of the saw.

Okay I checked again no serial anywhere else, just a sticker on the motor that says "SER 03193". Doesnt seem to be in the same format, really just want to know if this was part of the recall.

@ ChrisK, thanks I did find that piece 608668-00 on toolspareparts.com. It's an AU site apparently. Hopefully that is the guard that works for this saw...

• Like 1

Hey Chris, thanks again, I did see this. Can I assume because my plate looks nothing like that it was before the recall? this saw does look like an older model. Does the Type (1, 2, 3 or 4) mean the year or generation it was produced? The recall is vague, doesn't make mention of it being DW744 Type 1. Without a dated serial I have no idea

6 hours ago, Mike55 said:

Hey Chris, thanks again, I did see this. Can I assume because my plate looks nothing like that it was before the recall? this saw does look like an older model. Does the Type (1, 2, 3 or 4) mean the year or generation it was produced? The recall is vague, doesn't make mention of it being DW744 Type 1. Without a dated serial I have no idea

I was really wondering the same thing but decals can be weird that way. Regardless, I would call a service center, find out if they can direct you to serial number location that might be on the motor or something or some tell tale sign that that is an affected saw. Reason being in reading the cpsc report the recall is pretty serious. By calling the Dewalt number they might direct you to a blade guard that could fit the motor housing too that could fit another machine. Also the cpsc report indicated a need to return a saw and replace it from Dewalt 👍 That could be really good!

okay so I had a good idea for once, I went back to the source and asked about the saw. Turns out its an oldie, this saw is from the 90s which explains why it looks a lot different than the current models (or even the 07-08 models that were recalled). Good and bad news, it probably means that guard part isn't going to work, but also means I get to keep my fingers if its not the recalled machine. I'm still going to call dewalt though, better to be safe than sorry. Appreciate the help everyone!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This is a facsimile of the Recall.  

For DW744 dewalt table saws. 

Fyi: There has been one reported incident and Zero reported injuries. 

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.

Name of Product: DEWALT DW744 Jobsite Table Saws

Units: About 13,000

Manufacturer: DEWALT Industrial Tool Co., of Towson, Md.

Hazard: The pivot bracket on the saw can separate which can misalign the blade and the fence and cause kick back. This poses a laceration hazard to consumers.

Incidents/Injuries: DEWALT has received one reported incident of the table saw's blade misaligning. No injuries have been reported.

Description: This recall involves the 10 inch DEWALT jobsite table saw model number DW744.

Date codes included in the recall are 200715 through 200740. The table saws are yellow and black. The model number and date code are located on the name plate on the front of the saw. Table saws with an "X" stamped on the name plate by the date code are not included in this recall.

Sold at: Major home centers and hardware stores nationwide from April 2007 through January 2008 for about $500.

Manufactured in: Mexico

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled table saws and contact DEWALT for the location of a service center to obtain a free replacement table saw.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact DEWALT toll-free at (888) 742-9178 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit the firm's Web site at www.dewalt.com

• 1 year later...