M12 stubby impact wrenches

Biggie

I really want these, either the 3/8" or the 1/2". 

I was looking into the M12 Gen2 Fuel Impact driver, but I may just get one of these instead, and use a 3/8" or 1/8" drive to 1/4" hex adapter.

The torque listed for the 3/8" and 1/2" is 250 ft/lbs (3000in/lbs) vs the Gen2 Impact Driver with 1300in/lbs. Far and away stronger than the strongest 18v impact driver out there. The list torque is breakaway, not sustained, but I'd assume sustained torque is pretty close to that, at least. I guess we'll see as Milwaukee releases more specs.

Obviously, I'll have use the lower speed/torque option so as not to snap my fasteners, but then I'll have a very capable (maybe a bit slower) tiny impact driver and wrench in one tool. 

9 hours ago, Daniel Julian said:

i'd love to pack away the 1/2" stubby M12 and the new M12 inflator for trips in the car. 250 ft/lb should be plenty for lugs, right?

I agree with Steve, in theory, it should be fine for cars but if you ever have anyone not torque it right or have slightly marred threads from over-tightening at the tire shop, it will struggle. If you're going to help someone in a parking lot, forget it, guaranteed those aren't torqued to spec. The mid-torque is the way to go in that case. Also come up with something for the jack, my jack will work with a 1" hex socket.

• 2 weeks later...

Curious how far out these really are,  toolnut.com says they'll ship Sept. 1 and acme says Sept. 24.  I figured toolnut just knew they were coming out sometime in September so they put Sept. 1 as a estimated date but as it gets closer I figured they would have adjusted it but they haven't yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few size comparison pictures.  Doing a 3/4" structural bolt tightening test the new stubby can tighten the bolt so a m18 gen 2 compact impact wrench 2755 can't undo it.  Which it should able to being that it has and extra 30ft/lbs of torque.  A few final thought after comparing them side by side to the m12 and m18 impact drivers, I would still like to see them put a 3/8" anvil on the 1/4" size impacts.  I can't wait to see what the m18 gen 3 compact impact wrench will look like if it's anything like the new driver.

20180915_173012.jpg

20180915_173937.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Biggie said:

These must be popular sellers, I see they've raised the prices from $159 to $179 bare tool and $249 to $269 for the kits.

I think Milwaukee has been talking to Festool.  They just raised a bunch of prices.  The new 12AH kits went up by $50 last week too.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/15/2018 at 7:57 PM, Biggie said:

Just a few size comparison pictures.  Doing a 3/4" structural bolt tightening test the new stubby can tighten the bolt so a m18 gen 2 compact impact wrench 2755 can't undo it.  Which it should able to being that it has and extra 30ft/lbs of torque.  A few final thought after comparing them side by side to the m12 and m18 impact drivers, I would still like to see them put a 3/8" anvil on the 1/4" size impacts.  I can't wait to see what the m18 gen 3 compact impact wrench will look like if it's anything like the new driver.

20180915_173012.jpg

20180915_173937.jpg

I recently modified my 2853-20 to use a 1/2" anvil since I was tired of breaking socket adapters and having the collet drop bits occasionally.  I came across this post and thought I'd share a picture of my custom M18 Stubby Impact.

I used an anvil and the bearing that sits behind it from a 2755B.  The internal dimensions lined up perfectly, however, I had to bore the nose bushing larger using a 21/32" drill bit with some light reaming.  It is very powerful and feels just as strong as my 3/8 M12 stubby.  I don't currently have a way to test how much nut-busting torque it actually has but it rips off lug nuts torqued to 140 ft/lb with ease.

Although I am very happy with the outcome, it's important to realize that this type of modification will void the warranty, etc, etc.

20191219_084614.jpg

• Like 2

That's a pretty sweet modification.  I'm actually kind of surprised milwaukee hasn't released the next generation of m18 compact impact wrenches.  But when they do I expect it to look very similar to your mod.  After having the stubby for a while I have found that I still use my m18 compact wrench more.  The fatter stubby has a hard time getting square on nuts and bolts in tight corners.  

I wonder if a 3/8 anvil off a 2754 would still require the nose bushing to have to be bored?

"I wonder if a 3/8 anvil off a 2754 would still require the nose bushing to have to be bored?"

I did investigate this,  thanks for bringing it up.

The Milwaukee part number for the 2754 3/8" anvil is 42-06-0013 and it's tough to find any detailed specs in terms of measurements.  There is an eBay seller that has one listed right now where they claim the bearing surface of the anvil is 0.52" in diameter.  However, when I use my caliper and measure my actual 2853 original anvil, I get a diameter of 0.584 on the bearing surface.

I have not had an actual 2754 anvil in my hands to measure it myself.  It is tempting to buy one ... :-).

" After having the stubby for a while I have found that I still use my m18 compact wrench more.  The fatter stubby has a hard time getting square on nuts and bolts in tight corners. "

I will probably buy another 2853 impact driver (or maybe a M12 that is more slender) and leave it with it's original hex anvil because it's very useful in mechanical work with one of the Makita Impact Gold 3/8 or 1/2 15 degree tilt socket adapters.  I found those to be very tough and the wobble end is very useful for those tight corners.

https://www.makitatools.com/products/search/impact-gold-tilt

Yea I know in dewalt impacts a 3/8" anvil is a direct swap with their 1/4" driver anvil, but the 1/2" anvil is bigger much like with what you found with the milwaukee.  I would still like to see an updated m12 2553 with the 3/8" anvil.  The old 2454 is pretty slim but it's also pretty long.  I've looked at trying to build one myself but I don't think there's a 3/8" anvil that would be a good fit.