Milwaukee trimmer vs Makita 36v trimmer

I’m in the market for a new string trimmer. I am investing in one of these platforms and ope is a big part of my decision. I would like opinions on which is better. The Makita seems quieter and Milwaukee based on videos I watched seems to have a loud sound when the trigger is released (guessing its the shaft stopping which I know Makita doesn’t have). Which is better shaft driven or the motor right on the head? Is 18 x2 better than the 9.0 or 12.0 single battery?  

When it comes to gas ope apparently Makita knows their stuff. In tests I have seen the Makita stuff tends to score high. I would expect the x2 stuff to be no different. I haven't personally used any Makita ope but the x2 multihead system looks nice especially with all the different heads you can attach to the trimmer. I don't know where the motor is located on the multihead. I have seen reviews on the Makita trimmer and it has some nice features like the reverse spin button for if something wraps around the string and gets caught. I'm sure Milwaukee is good as well especially with the 9.0 HD or 12.0 HO or 6.0 HO. I don't know if it will perform well with less powerful m18 batteries. I personally would go x2 but both are good in my opinion.

Welcome to the forums.

I have read some of your other posts - I think you need to assess and lock down your needs/priorities as you shouldn't jump on a platform mainly based on the performance of one tool. How much are you really planning to use your power tools vs OPE? And if OPE is a big part of your decision, what other tools are you considering besides the trimmer? If possible, elaborate a litte more. So far, your needs sound minimal and you may be barking up the wrong tree... but we are here to help.

Thanks for the welcoming. A lot of great info on this forum. I am looking at upgrading my cordless tools from cheapos and buy some corded tools as well. I want to buy either brands 6 tool brushless kits, corded circular saw, jig saw and some cordless lighting.  I do a lot of building and fixing up at my house. As far as ope, hedge trimmer, blower and string trimmer. I love the fact either brand offers this so keeping with the same batteries. I do my own landscaping on my property which is a decent size. 

2 hours ago, Fireguy116 said:

Thanks for the welcoming. A lot of great info on this forum. I am looking at upgrading my cordless tools from cheapos and buy some corded tools as well. I want to buy either brands 6 tool brushless kits, corded circular saw, jig saw and some cordless lighting.  I do a lot of building and fixing up at my house. As far as ope, hedge trimmer, blower and string trimmer. I love the fact either brand offers this so keeping with the same batteries. I do my own landscaping on my property which is a decent size. 

May I suggest going with a cordless circular saw and jigsaw? With cordless you don't gotta worry about snagged cords, cut cords, extension cords, or lack of power outlets. Most brands now days especially Makita and Milwaukee have very good cordless saws that are very capable. Both brands have multiple brushless options. Makita has these great circular saws the brushless blade right subcompact, brushless blade left compact, brushed x2 blade right, and the brushless x2 blade left rear handle monster. Also Makita has brushless d handle and barrel grip jigsaws. Milwaukee has the smaller fuel blade left circ saw and just came out with a gen 2 fuel of their larger blade right fuel saw that is pretty impressive for only being 18v. Milwaukee also has D handle and barrel grip brushless jigsaws. I don't know how much you will be cutting with them but you could maybe get a few hours or more of cutting done with any of these saws depending on the load. 

Fireguy, I see no mention of a mower. This was a huge factor for me, and why I went EGO 56V for OPE.

Here is my opinion so far:

Cordless hand tools - Draw. Milwaukee and Makita both have competive choices.

Cordless lighting - Milwaukee. Absolutely no competition here. Makita is lacking and behind.

Cordless OPE - slight edge in favor of Makita. They also offer a power head, a healthy selection of chainsaws, and a mower (albeit small) if push came to shove. Not sure if Milwaukee is planning to release a mower any time soon - maybe someone else can chime in.

It may come down to what is more important to you... OPE performance/selection or lighting.

Have you considered Dewalt or Ryobi?

5 hours ago, bee-man said:

Fireguy, I see no mention of a mower. This was a huge factor for me, and why I went EGO 56V for OPE.

Here is my opinion so far:

Cordless hand tools - Draw. Milwaukee and Makita both have competive choices.

Cordless lighting - Milwaukee. Absolutely no competition here. Makita is lacking and behind.

Cordless OPE - slight edge in favor of Makita. They also offer a power head, a healthy selection of chainsaws, and a mower (albeit small) if push came to shove. Not sure if Milwaukee is planning to release a mower any time soon - maybe someone else can chime in.

It may come down to what is more important to you... OPE performance/selection or lighting.

Have you considered Dewalt or Ryobi?

Actually yes today I was at a local hardware store that offers both Milwaukee and Makita trying to see side by side which one I liked better. They had a full array of DeWalt tools and out door equipment. The Dewalt stuff was very nice not like the older stuff that my dad had. One thing that stuck out for me was the made in the USA stickers on a lot of Dewalts stuff. I am big in to buying made in America when I can and it’s available. That’s kinda why I’ve been leaning Makita because of quite a few things that are at least assembled here. 

*side note a cordless impact is on my list and Makita’s is assembled in the USA. Looking at the entire was or corded and cordless there were quite a few made in USA and japan for them.*

that said Dewalt had a lot more USA tools and their outdoor equipment was nice. And they have a tower/rocket light which is something regardless if I chose Makita I was prolly going to buy since they don’t offer one. How is Dewalt today in comparison to Milwaukee and Makita?  If it’s just as good then my decision just added on more tool maker to the mix. 

First of all, let me say that I am not a Dewalt guy; however, according to what I read, hear, and see, Dewalt is right up there at the top. At the moment, I think they have the most powerful cordless circular saw (Flexvolt), and they have everything you need, as well as made in the USA (according to you). What's holding you back?

The only complaint I hear is that some of their batteries are not cross compatible. I can't remember the specifics, but research or try posting your question in the Dewalt sub forum for better guidance. 

It isn't fully cross compatible but more like halfway cross compatible. I don't find the lack of ability to throw on a 20v battery for a flexvolt tool to be that bad. When I own 7 flex 2/6 batteries I have yet to even have a situation where I even wanted to put my 20v batteries on my flexvolt tools. With only have two 20v batteries at only 2.0 ah a piece, I am more likely to throw on a flex battery which is good enough compatibility for me. I have no complaints with the halfway lack of compatibility of flexvolt and 20v.