New 3ah compact vs 5ah

07Sierra

I know the 5ah could supply more runtime but with the new high end 21700 cells in the 3ah compact, do you think it could supply the same type of performance in the bigger tools like the impacts? Could it supply more amps compared to the the 5ah?

I have multiple 2, 4 and 6ah, there is a significant noticeable difference when using the the 4/6 batteries in all my tools.   I believe the discharge rate of the 3 is better than the 2 but not quite the 4 or 6.  So based on that I'd go for the 5 vs the 3 all day long. the 3 is obviously a run time boost over the  2 but if my only choice were 2 2's or 1 3 I'ed take the 2's, charging 1 while using the other vs waiting for the 1 battery to charge.

I’m not impressed with the 5ah batteries honestly. I have a bunch of 2 ah’s for drills, impacts, and small tools, and a bunch of the 6ah Flexvolts for saws, fan, vacuum, blower, etc. 

The Flexvolts are a significant increase in both power and run time for everything I use them in, but they are too heavy and bulky for the 6 1/2” trim saw and compact brushless recip. I use the 5 ah batteries in those tools, but it’s not uncommon to use 3 batteries in a day working by myself. The 2 ah’s and Flexvolts last close to a week in the tools I use them in. 

The 3 ah would be nice for the OMT, as it’s a battery hog but best kept light and compact. 

6 hours ago, Mordekyle said:

2AH in finishing guns, They will run for days.

5 AH in Most other 20 V tools.

FV on the 20v saw. High increase in performance is worth way more than the small increase in weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run the 2.0 s in my Brad and finish guns but only 5.0s or flex volts in the framer. I love my 2.0 s. I might get a 3.0 at some point but...

The planer also runs noticeably stronger with flexvolt batteries. I rarely need more power than a 4ah can offer but it’s nice when you’re planing something super hard to have that extra oomph.

if I’ve got a grinding wheel on my drill, doing some rust cleanup etc a flexvolt battery is also nice. 

I’ve only got 6/2ah flex batteries, do the 9/3ah give more power, especially in the 575 saw?

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Jronman said:

I used a Flex in my OMT. Thats probably why it broke. Too much power. Using a 2/6 from full to empty in one session on the OMT creates a ton of heat. 

I’ve wondered at this proving to be a potential issue for some tools going forward. As they were almost certainly all developed and tested using what we presently think of as “standard” batteries that aren’t outputting as much current as these larger capacity batteries can, along with the higher work output they’ll now get is more heat production and accelerated wear. I’m interested in seeing how that plays out over time.