Lighting options

Fireguy116

Why does it seem like Makita is lacking lighting options?  Milwaukee and Dewalt have the rocket style lights. I’ve seen the Milwaukee lights in action and they are insanely bright and I saw a video on YouTube comparing the rocket light to the Makita light and stand and the Milwaukee blows the Makita out of the water. So do you think Makita will step up their game and add a light like these?

0914FB3E-0160-4BAB-B7BC-97CA21396B3A.jpeg

As mentioned, Makita don't play keeping up with the Jones. However the lighting products I own from Milwaukee are built like shit compared to the one's I've used from Makita.

Milwaukee lighting is pretty much all I use on site currently as it does exactly what I need it to, but it was expensive, it's not the most robust equipment and I've had to do repairs on it and I'm worried it's going to break down on me well before it should. Flashy doesn't always mean good.

1 hour ago, Framer joe said:

Don't keep up with the Jones ? As soon as flexvolt was released they came up with X2 battery tools to compete......

Lol, you funny....

first makita 18v x2 preview January 2014

First FlexVolt previews July 2016

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/14/2018 at 7:10 PM, cliu said:

One option would be to buy Ryobi lights and get an adapter to power those lights with Makita batteries, that's what I do. Ryobi has a wide assortment of lights and all the ones I have have worked great.

I just got a Dewalt to Ryobi adapter to power a couple of Ryobi tools I want, the glue gun, a light and a fan.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2018 at 2:46 AM, Framer joe said:

Don't keep up with the Jones ? As soon as flexvolt was released they came up with X2 battery tools to compete......

Not even close to accurate.

https://www.toolstop.co.uk/blog/makita-36v-cordless-lithium-ion-tools-exclusive-from-toolstop/

Makita has announced a raft of exciting new cordless power tools for the start of 2014. Of course, we’re bang up to do thanks to our power tool spy.

The single unit 36v were out before the X2, the BHR262 for example, was released 10 years ago.

slowpoke.jpg

1 hour ago, Framer joe said:

Ah....so two years before  and stilllllll can't beat dewalt flexvolt...my bad...I got confused because no one can touch flexvolt tools... Makita is funny

You wanna know who's funny? You're funny. You get it wrong from the start then come out with that? The 36v platform was out a lot longer than 2 years before the flexvolt. 

What's funny still, you think an older product (by your calculation, 2 years newer based on the X2) is going to be better than its newer rival, like DeWalt haven't had two years to sit there and think about how to improve an X2 model.

Don't you feel embarrassed when you re-read what you post sometimes? I would if I were dropping nonsense like that. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Framer joe said:

Ah....so two years before  and stilllllll can't beat dewalt flexvolt...my bad...I got confused because no one can touch flexvolt tools... Makita is funny

Makita's plunge saw, chainsaw, blower, recipe, SDS max and mitre saw disagree with you Joe. 

There's more then your circular saw

• Like 4

As already mentioned, quite a few Makita X2 tools beat out the Flexvolts in independent comparisons. The circular saw seems to be the lone example that is commonly regarded as going in Dewalt’s favor, largely predicated on stall-resistance, although it’s a worm drive vs hypoid...so there’s some apples to oranges with that. In theory the efficiency of the hypoid drive would be getting more run time per amp hour while the extra stall-resistance of the worm drive would come up as an advantage far less often in real-world settings.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ToolBane said:

As already mentioned, quite a few Makita X2 tools beat out the Flexvolts in independent comparisons. The circular saw seems to be the lone example that is commonly regarded as going in Dewalt’s favor, largely predicated on stall-resistance, although it’s a worm drive vs hypoid...so there’s some apples to oranges with that. In theory the efficiency of the hypoid drive would be getting more run time per amp hour while the extra stall-resistance of the worm drive would come up as an advantage far less often in real-world settings.

Aren't all the cordless saws just basic sidewinders ? ( I think that's what you English people call it )

They may have a rear handle but the motor is still sticking in thesame direction on these rear handled saws as on sidewinders

12 minutes ago, kornomaniac said:

Aren't all the cordless saws just basic sidewinders ? ( I think that's what you English people call it )

They may have a rear handle but the motor is still sticking in thesame direction on these rear handled saws as on sidewinders

I’m murican so maybe that’s why I’m not following your question, but I think the clarification you’re asking for is if the Dewalt is an actual wormdrive? It is, unless Dewalt is employing some really shady marketing, the first and presently only such cordless wormdrive on the market. That’s almost certainly how it beats Makita’s X2 for having the highest power output for circular saws on the market. I’m sure you’re already quite aware of how Makita’s hypoid drive is more or less a hybrid between worm and standard to gain much of the benefit of worm drive without so much efficiency loss.

7 hours ago, kornomaniac said:

Doesn't Wormdrive mean that your motor is placed on a 90 degree angle compared to your blade?

( We don't got any Wormdrive not hypoid saws in Belgium. They don't exist here )

download (2).jpeg

Worm drive gearing has a much higher reduction rate than hypoid gearing (in most saws at least), this in turn means motors can be lacking in torque while requiring a much higher running speed compared to a hypoid. 

However the DeWalt is a offset/spur drive. The term worm drive was simply used to describe the body style borrowed from skil and many have taken that to mean it's gearing is also the same. 

Edited by SchenzhenSpecial
Correct gearing mentioned

5 hours ago, SchenzhenSpecial said:

download (2).jpeg

Worm drive gearing has a much higher reduction rate than hypoid gearing (in most saws at least), this in turn means motors can be lacking in torque while requiring a much higher running speed compared to a hypoid. 

However the DeWalt is a hypoid geared saw. The term worm drive was simply used to describe the body style borrowed from skil and many have taken that to mean it's gearing is also the same. 

Wait how do we know the Dewalt is hypoid as well? They seem to have pulled one over on some reviewers if that’s the case. But it had not escaped me that Dewalt consistently refers to it as “wormdrive style” on their homepage without any further disclosure or clarification. A real wormdrive would have justified more bragging rights in the eyes of some customers.

Shame, Dewalt

Shame

22 minutes ago, ToolBane said:

wormdrive style

Exactly that. Calling it styled like is the get out clause. The dead give-away is the motor positioning.

It's not actually a hypoid saw either (foolishly, I called it one, but it's not), it's an offset drive spur/gear. A hypoid acts much like a worm drive however it's a spiral cut offset gear mounted 90deg to a face/crown drive.

Spur_gear.JPG

OffsetDrive.jpg

Hypoid-Gears-Offset.jpg

• Like 1