Anyone built a multipurpose material support bench/station?

Jpgwoodworking

Hopefully I can explain this clearly enough to make sense. My current shop is 25’x25’and not large enough to work with 16’ material inside it. I have a miter saw station and assembly table inside, but typically work on the slab outside with mobile support stands when I need to rip or plane full length stock. If all works out well, hopefully I will have a 25’x50’ shop soon and have enough room to do it inside. 

I’d like to build a permanent work station along one wall that would allow my jointer, planer, band saw, router table, and table saw to be rolled into it to deal with 16’ material. The table saw will sit in the middle of the shop most of the time with a smaller outfeed table. Obviously getting everything on bases where it is the exact same height and using locking casters will be the keys to it. Dust collection will also be easy since it will simplify duct routing. 

Curious is anyone has seen or done anything like this before and tips/problems you’ve run into. Thanks. 

2 hours ago, ChrisK said:

Dan Pattison has one for sale on his website. 

https://www.danpattison.com/

I bought the plane last year or the year before but as of yet still have to build the bench. I have a Festool MFT that I use all the time.

Thanks, I’ve seen that before. I’m actually talking about building permanently mounted 16’ infeed and outfeed tables with a gap in the middle for the various tools to mount in though. 

16 hours ago, Jpgwoodworking said:

Thanks, I’ve seen that before. I’m actually talking about building permanently mounted 16’ infeed and outfeed tables with a gap in the middle for the various tools to mount in though. 

so basically a modular workbench? If I am imagining what you are thinking of then I think you could easily make one. Basically one edge of the infeed table and one edge of the outfeed table would have a connection point whether it be some kind of slot, cleat, etc. The tool would then be on a base of some sort with a connection on front and back edge to fit onto the infeed and outfeed tables.

Commercial shop. The majority of the time I imagine I’d leave the jointer in it, which is also the longest machine. The infeed and outfeed tables would be permanently mounted to the wall, so they wouldn’t need to be supported by the machines, but would leave various sized gaps. 

I don’t think the gaps would be a big deal though, as long as the machine is pushed up against the outfeed table so it’s not moving around. 

Things I’m imagining might be an issue are 16’ of friction, which could probably be prevented using something slick like hardboard, and whether an extended fence would be helpful. 

The shop would be long enough to store the machines lined up on their rolling stands at the end of the outfeed table, so they would be easy to move into place or use without the extensions if they aren’t needed. Materials racks underneath would also be nice. 

@Jpgwoodworking Here is an idea. For starters All you would need is to make 2 identical workbenches(infeed/outfeed tables).They would be situated with a gap in between them. This gap would fit your longest tool. All tools would be on a rooling base of sorts which you would be able to lock between this gap. Their tops would be flush with the 2 workbenches. The shorter tools could either roll into the space short or you could build extensions to make the shorter tools as long as your longest tool.