Flexvolt 6 and 9 Ah on the 20v mitre saw ?

Craigh9916

Hi can anyone tell me if there is much difference in power between the 6ah flexvolt battery and the 9 Ah when used on the 20v mitre saw ? The reason I ask is I’m going to buy one mainly for my miter saw but if there isn’t a lot in the performance I will get the 6 Ah as at least it will get used on a few other tools as it’s not as big but if the 9 Ah makes the saw a lot more powerful then I will buy that and leave it on the saw ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ah ratings only add negligible amounts of “power.” The key factor is runtime. 6 vs 9, you should see roughly a 50% linger runtime.

With the larger cells of the 9 Ah I was thinking better performance as my bosch 6.3 Ah I’m my circular saw is far better then the 5 Ah performance wise

If you are doing a LOT of cutting then you will notice the 9 will keep peak performance for longer, but honestly it's not a big difference.  I only use the 9 in my baby saw when I'm cutting lots of shoe molding and don't want to go back and forth to the charger.  By the time I kill a 9 I'm done the job or ready to take 5.

I run the 6 ah Flexvolts in the 20v miter saw and 20v 7 1/4 circular saw. They make a noticeable difference in power and run time over the 5 ah’s, I typically get multiple days with it with a lot of cutting like running wainscoting. 

I think the 9 ah was primarily developed to give the 577 worm drive style saw better run time. Keep in mind when run in the Flexvolt tools they are only 2 ah and 3 ah batteries. 

I would get the 12/4 flex battery over the 9/3 flex. It is same size as the 9/3 flex but has the 21700 cells which would be a bit more powerful than the 20700 cells that the 9/3 has. I don't know how much more powerful or if it is even noticeable. Would I get the 6/2 over the 12/4? I have a handful of 6/2 flex batteries and they have had plenty of power for me. I have never used the 9/3 or the 12/4. I wouldn't mind trying a higher ah battery. You are probably best off getting a 2 pack of 6/2's. They are cheaper per ah than one 12/4 yet still give you similar amounts of runtime. Also because there is 2 of them you can have one on 2 tools vs buying only one 12/4 and being restricted to just one tool at one time.

I have 4 of the 12ah..it makes a big difference on all the 60v tools.....but 9ah is plenty for the mitre saw...I wouldn't go lower then 9ah /3ah on any 60v tool, .,it absolutely makes a difference in performance and runtime

Bare in mind the title says on a 20v tool I’m not using them on a 60v I just want to know the difference between the two in power on a 20v mitre

My bad, why use a flex battery on a20v mitre? It won't help much but more runtime...plus I have that and it is not very good compared to the Ridgid or Milwaukee....a 5ah is all you need for it

Because a few people on here have said the flexvolt makes a big difference in performance on the 20v mitre

• 3 weeks later...

I had bought the 20v miter to add to my 20+ dewalt 20v tools and was extremely disappointed with the 4ah battery It took a while to cut stuff and so i popped in one of my 9ah batterys and immediately I could hear a difference when I hit the trigger and the cutting was alot better than with the 4ah I decided to keep it use it alot now only with the 9ah battery tho

I had bought the 20v miter to add to my 20+ dewalt 20v tools and was extremely disappointed with the 4ah battery It took a while to cut stuff and so i popped in one of my 9ah batterys and immediately I could hear a difference when I hit the trigger and the cutting was alot better than with the 4ah I decided to keep it use it alot now only with the 9ah battery tho

Try the 6AH Flexvolt on your circular saw. You’ll never go back.

• 4 weeks later...