Flexvolt track saw

Roasty

Hey guys going to be buying a plunge saw soon and been looking at reviews and whatnot. It’s between the flexvolt tracksaw and festoll cordless. Festool is $1250 for kit and a rail. I can get the dewalt kit for $900 this weekend only. Went to a tool shop and played with them both and pretty disappointed with the dewalt.

the plunge mechanism was super stiff and required a ton of force to even move it down?? Is it a thing that will wear with use and become easier or can it be lubed for smoother action?

like to hear everyone’s opinions on them both thanks :)

Have you considered the Makita? $1050 inc 2 batteries. I had the Festool and was bitterly disappointed considering how much I had paid for it (bought 2 chargers, 4 batteries, 3 rails, 2 blades, connectors etc). I think the performance will be better now with the airstream batteries and chargers but I had to send mine back within a month as it was struggling to have any sort of runtime While cutting through 12mm ply. They said the blade was running out of parallel with the track but even after they ‘fixed’ it I was still disappointed so I sold it for the Makita and haven’t regretted it. 

https://sydneytools.com.au/makita-dsp600pt2jt-36v-18v-x-2-5-0ah-li-ion-cordless-brushless-plunge-cut-saw-combo-kit-with-track-saw

Oh really! That’s average of them.

the Makita does look good. But I think I’m going to pickup the dewalt and if it turns out I don’t like it after using for a few weeks I’ll take it back. Just heavily invested in dewalt so I want it too be good!  But will see how it goes

I’m sure when it’s paired with the 3.0ah or 4.0ah it will be great! The plunging motion will just be something to adapt to! Finding the right blade will also be pretty critical to its performance as well I’d guess  (I’ve read the standard blade isn’t all that great). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Roasty said:

Oh really! That’s average of them.

the Makita does look good. But I think I’m going to pickup the dewalt and if it turns out I don’t like it after using for a few weeks I’ll take it back. Just heavily invested in dewalt so I want it too be good!  But will see how it goes

If you buy the DeWALT use it with Festool guide rails. I think they are much better rails.

7 hours ago, marsh942 said:

Have you considered the Makita? $1050 inc 2 batteries. I had the Festool and was bitterly disappointed considering how much I had paid for it (bought 2 chargers, 4 batteries, 3 rails, 2 blades, connectors etc). I think the performance will be better now with the airstream batteries and chargers but I had to send mine back within a month as it was struggling to have any sort of runtime While cutting through 12mm ply. They said the blade was running out of parallel with the track but even after they ‘fixed’ it I was still disappointed so I sold it for the Makita and haven’t regretted it. 

https://sydneytools.com.au/makita-dsp600pt2jt-36v-18v-x-2-5-0ah-li-ion-cordless-brushless-plunge-cut-saw-combo-kit-with-track-saw

I've found the Makita to be far superior to the FlexVolt; it's also better than the festool cordless IMO; but the corded model is hard to beat.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Framer joe said:

The flexvolt is great...use them at work everyday...the Makita my other crew has, broke and struggled to push through dense material

I’m curious, have you ever had a Dewalt tool that didn’t outperform every other tool on the planet? 

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, HiltiWpg said:

I didn’t know the handle was so wonky on the Dewalt. Good to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not a trivial design mistake, one would think. How many hundreds of hours went into that and somehow that makes it past the design team?

I think it depends on your line of work.

For Framer Joe the Dewalt is probably the best option because it can handle job site abuse and meet harsh expectations.

Cabinet or Shop style guy probably the Festool.

Cant speak on the Makita but with joe saying it bogs down I would put it in the shop style category 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kornomaniac said:

The deWalt is the ' roughest' track saw you can have. Shitty handle, shitty counter intuitive plunge action, not even a positive stop at 45°. It's almost a spring loaded circular saw that happens to be able to run on a track

Rougher than the Grizzly?

For Framer Joe the Dewalt is probably the best option because it can handle job site abuse and meet harsh expectations.

Cant speak on the Makita but with joe saying it bogs down I would put it in the shop style category 

Agreed.

I don’t make cabinets. But do lots of T1-11 on siding and gable ends. Subfloors and trimming down doors.

FV is more than precise enough for what I use it for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Framer joe said:

The flexvolt is great...use them at work everyday...the Makita my other crew has, broke and struggled to push through dense material

First person I've ever heard say it broke or struggled. Are you sure it wouldn't be your bias talking? Without wanting to sound rude, I think you need to grow up. They're just tools, if you don't like them, try something else lol. You like DeWalt. Great. Others prefer the Makita. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JakeDewalt said:

It really doesn't. Pair of fully charged 5s or 6s at full depth 45 powers through most mid to hard woods at quite a surprising rate. It's pretty amazing how a 36v cordless saw can perform so well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JakeDewalt said:

It doesn't bog down. Thats just joe's bias speaking

• Like 2

@kornomaniac....as I've said a million times, I run 3 framing crews ..one trailer is all Makita, one all Dewalt ( mine) , one all Milwaukee....not my decision,the owners chose the brands ...they all have the latest tools available.

I'm not bias ,...most guys on here are  DIY or shop guys,  not building custom homes 6 days a week in all weather, it's different and more demanding...

I comment on what I see and use  at work everyday...I buy all the tools and service all the tools, and use all the tools..so I have a very good idea on how they all perform framing...

What's not cool is the belittling that happens when a comment is made you don't like..I don't disrespect anyone on here, they are all just personal opinions.

As far as dewalt goes,ya no company matches flexvolt ,circ saws, rear handle saws,table saw, and mitre saws...cordless nailers also...they are very durable , powerful tools.......

Milwaukee.makes awesome plumbing, HVAC , mechanic tools...small and  powerful, generally better then DeWalts equivalent...but they don't match up with framing tools...or cordless nailers and they thermal overload a lot...even the new drill that beats my 997 ,heats up ( read reviews) but I .love M12 line...

Makita makes finesse tools, generally not as powerful as Dewalt or Milwaukee...cool features , great tools but not great to frame with.....

These are opinions based on daily use....if your not familiar with ..LVL,PT, engineered lumber,IPE, timbers, etc...these are what we cut ,rip, saw.drill,screw etc...not a 2x4 in a garage video...

If I'm a shop guy,I'd be all Festool....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1