Old 3/8" heavy duty hammer drill worth buying?

melonSkum

I need a spare hammer drill for making holes in a concrete wall.   I have found this  90's 12volt Milwaukee Heavy Duty hammer drill on CL.  The CAT NO - 0420-1. Should be mine in $10.  I do have a fascination for those retro looking drills from the 90s . And these days, of course that "Made In USA"  has that novelty ring to it.

Since, the heydays of this tool predates my birth - I have no idea how effective this  would be for drilling holes in a concrete wall. Would it serve a practical end? Just wondering how worn out the innards would be.

I do know the NiCad batteries that come with this piece are on their last legs - I shall either hook it up to a low voltage DC source or go the salvaged 18650 with BMS route. 

Attached pics for reference.

PS - Except for some service manual and parts list , I drew a blank on the Milwaukee site while looking for a User Manual. I would be very grateful if someone could provide me a link.  

ssss.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by melonSkum
resized images

I'd second staying away.  Cordless power tools have come a long way in the last 20 years in terms of both power and runtime.  Then on top of that hammer drills aren't real great at drilling into concrete.  I personally just think you would be setting yourself up for an unpleasant experience.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2022 at 10:03 AM, LannyBo said:

I have one of these drills. Where would I find batteries?

You'll have to go with rebuilt or aftermarket batteries, but they can still be found.

The problem with using these older tools is that they lack performance and use a battery technology that's been all but obsolete for over ten years.  They also don't really offer a bargain in the grand scheme of things.  The above site offers a battery with a six month warranty for $34.95, and with the cheapest shipping option for me being $13.10.  So, almost $50 to get a 30 year old drill running.