Brushless Impact Wrench...shouldn’t one be coming soon?

ToolBane

Ryobi’s released a number of brushless tools as has close affiliate Ridgid for quite some time now. Ridgid’s Gen 5 brushless impact wrench released about the same time as most of both companies’ current brushless offerings and has received generally very positive reviews. It replaced their gen 4 which like many of their products appeared to have been designed on a common platform with Ryobi’s current, competent but aging brushed model. This led me to believe Ryobi should be planning on releasing a brushless impact wrench soon as well. Yet a year later...nada.

Ryobi’s impact driver as far as I’ve seen has generally been reviewed as a standout among their new brushless line. So it doesn’t seem like they lack resources in the development department. I picked one up recently and so far it’s been pretty solid. Ryobi’s even had time to release a second, stripped-down brushless impact driver under the radar that they bundle in combo packages.

Meanwhile, the current brushed impact wrench is...competent. But some online testers have found it actually gets outperformed by Ryobi’s own previous generation model. People even complain about it emitting an unusual odor (which I’ve noticed as well, though it doesn’t terribly bother me per se). Mine actually would frequently emit sparks upon starting and stopping during initial use, which I figure is likely related to whatever substance it is that causes the smell being in the brushes. It’s mostly gone as the tool’s worn in, but I’ve not had a tool do that to anywhere near that degree before. Seems like they should have an incentive to move forward.

Anyone hear or come across any rumors? I still figure something should be coming down the pipeline but see so news anywhere on the subject.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Ryobi 18V ONE+ 3-Speed 1/2 IN. Impact Wrench Model: #P261 has brushes and produces 300 ft-lbs of torque.

https://www.ryobitools.com/power-tools/products/details/18v-one-plus-3-speed-in-impact-wrench

large_936ea31a-ccc4-44ee-98c0-747fe21bc4

Ridgid 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless 1/2 IN. Brushless Impact Wrench Model:  R86011 and produces 450 ft-lbs of torque.

ridgid-impact-wrenches-r86011sb-c3_1000.

Where is the Ryobi 1/2 IN. Brushless Impact Wrench???