Solid state batteries: where we are, what we can expect

Some of the more interesting points:

-Up to 2-3x the charge density of current lithium batteries

-Substantially reduced risk of flammability or explosion

-No concerns regarding memory effects

-Expected to last upwards of ten times as many charge/discharge cycles

-Much wider operating temperature 

• Like 2

I'm wondering if we're going to see much as consumers for a while. The largest markets would be automotive and energy storage from renewables such as solar and wind. Seeing such tech in your hand I don't think will be around the corner.

Something you might want to read:

https://electrek.co/2018/02/28/bosch-gives-up-battery-cell-production-electric-car/

I think we’re roughly a decade away, but that’s random speculation

8 hours ago, ToolBane said:

I think we’re roughly a decade away, but that’s random speculation

It could be anywhere from 10 to 50 years. We know Lithium ion as-is needs to be eliminated, it's too dangerous in this World where everything has become safety conscience. Hopefully these early models are actually working as opposed to all the Tech we heard about 20 years ago in battery tech...remember the little nuclear cells everyone was going to have in their cell phones?

Hopefully the cell industry doesn't keep up this path of thinner is better if/when these become standard. I wish they doubled the size of the battery to make the phone thicker...it might fit better in skinny jeans or a girl's back pocket but it does not fit well in my hand. Even with a case they feel too thin.

1 hour ago, BMack37 said:

Hopefully these early models are actually working as opposed to all the Tech we heard about 20 years ago in battery tech...remember the little nuclear cells everyone was going to have in their cell phones?

Sadly I do. I remember having a LOT of arguments with electrical engineers back then playing with cold fusion tubs in their living rooms who were convinced they were going to figure out how to make cold fusion work. I don’t even know where to begin with everything that’s wrong with that scenario. Anyone with a reasonably solid science background could immediately see through that so the science community never took any of it seriously. But no one listens to actual scientists anyway for some reason, least of all the media, so...

The hurdles involved with solid state batteries however are much more reasonable to overcome. Still just speculating, but roughly a decade away...I think that’s plausible.

Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Rustic Builder
    Newest Member
    Rustic Builder