Mercedes Metris - Round 2

Moze

I posted my first Metris (here). It was the cargo version. My main complaints were the road noise, poor interior lighting in the back, only having a sliding door on the passenger side and poor visibility/blind spots. I had my Tstaks stacked on the drivers side wall and had to climb into the van to open the drawers every time I needed something. Not a big deal if the van was empty but if I had stuff in the back, it was constantly in the way.

Took that in for servicing a few months ago and got looking around and they had a Service Loaner passenger version for sale. Didn't think much about it at first but then went back and started brainstorming of how I could outfit it and got to dreaming about actually having a line of sight out the side windows. And being able to reverse my Tstaks so I could access them from the outside of the van rather than inside. After thinking it over for a while, I had to have it. Traded mine in on this and I'm loving it. 

01.jpg

• Like 1

Previously, I had my parts organizers sitting on top of the Tstaks and they were kept in place by stretching a bungee over top of them. It worked fine, but to access the contents, I'd have to pull one of the organizers completely out, set it on the Tstaks, open it, get what I needed, and then shimmy it back under the bungee. Not a huge deal, but when you're going back for stuff a few times, it gets irritating. So I wound up taking the same bungee and stretching it across both of them while they're open. Then I can just close the organizers and latch them and they stay in place perfectly. When I want to access them, just flip the latches, open the organizer and everything is accessible and the bungee keeps it in place.

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

• Like 3

At the back I keep my "98% cart". It's a stack of Tstaks that typically has virtually anything I need for most installs. I have a ratchet strap going through the various attachment points in the floor and it keeps the Tstaks in place when driving. 

The access panel on the right is removable. It's for the jack but has a ton of room for my caulk gun & silicone, some sockets, drill & tap set, etc.

I put a couple of squares of the 'hook' side of Velcro on the back of the Stabila levels and they stay in place nicely on the carpeted area.

Pics were taken before I mounted the hooks for the ladder and work platform....

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

• Like 4

The van is WAY quieter than the cargo version so my intent was to have everything I needed but not do any modification if necessary to the actual van. I wanted to keep it 'travel friendly' and keep the passenger look as much as possible. I have the 2nd and 3rd rows of seats that I can put in for road trips, camping, etc. In less than 10 minutes, I can completely unload everything work related and in another 10 minutes, have the seats in and be ready to roll with up to 6 other passengers. Pretty happy with the switch. If anyone is looking for a van that will carry 4'x8' material, fit in virtually any parking garage and still be family friendly, this is a great option.

• Like 3

I like your stealth approach. Limo tint would keep prying eyes out, and power doors would be awesome

I think I saw your pictures of tstak drawer units with tools in them a few months ago. It never occurred to me to use them before. My nail guns each come out of the van in their tstak case, but the jigsaw or the 23 gauge would get pulled out in its case, set on the floor, and I would take only the smaller tool. The drawers are great! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Mordekyle said:

I like your stealth approach. Limo tint would keep prying eyes out, and power doors would be awesome

I think I saw your pictures of tstak drawer units with tools in them a few months ago. It never occurred to me to use them before. My nail guns each come out of the van in their tstak case, but the jigsaw or the 23 gauge would get pulled out in its case, set on the floor, and I would take only the smaller tool. The drawers are great! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! The passenger versions come from the factory with limo tint on the back windows, so I only had to add it to the front. 

Yeah, the Tstaks work great.