Flexvolt

CityDecks

I have several 6.0 and 2-9.0. all less then 6 months old. Batteries barely Last 1/2 of what they did when new. Brought to DeWalt service center to test. 2 failing and covered under warranty. Rest all checked out with a pass but don't last a crap. Any thoughts of this. Too much hassle to deal with

Yanni

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

You mean drain? Recharge 1/2 or 2/3's of the way? They usually get recharged when they hit 1-2 bars.

Is this with DeWalt or or all? I have set if Hilti and never have any hassle with. Hot / Cold temp's charge when drained most of the time and there going on 2-3 yrs old.

DeWalt started to bonk just after the extensive heat wave we had this yr. My tools are stored in tstaks and tough box on roof tops all yr around.

and dont disharge them too much.

Good old Dewalt.  Flexvolt tools are supposed to stop working before battery is too far drained. Let’s see do not charge them up after use if you are not going to use them right away. How long is too long to store a fully charged Dewalt battery, a day, a week, a month, a year. Maybe Dewalt needs a redesign. 

My 95% go to is 6.5" sirc. 7 1/4 left cordless. Impact driver's.
Picked up Makita cordless Lefty 7 1/4 and although almost 2lbs heavier it feels smoother band better balanced then DeWalt. Grabbed cpl of Impacts as well. Similar to size and weight of Hilti and a lit lighter. It's uncomfortable to drop impact in my bags with flexvolt batteries. Too heavy.

Hilti is getting me 36v 7 1/4 Lefty in few weeks to try. They'll be realeased in jan/ Feb next year. .
If that works I'm leaning on expanding all Hilti for primary. It going all Makita. Maki like Hilti is not effected by heat or Cold like DeWalt. Selloff DeWalt.

Good old Dewalt.  Flexvolt tools are supposed to stop working before battery is too far drained. Let’s see do not charge them up after use if you are not going to use them right away. How long is too long to store a fully charged Dewalt battery, a day, a week, a month, a year. Maybe Dewalt needs a redesign. 

11 hours ago, CityDecks said:

DeWalt started to bonk just after the extensive heat wave we had this yr. My tools are stored in tstaks and tough box on roof tops all yr around.

I have noticed my toughsystem trap heat inside the box. I open the box on a hot day and feel the inside of the box is noticeably warmer than the outside. I try to keep them out of the sun but sometimes it is either not practical or not possible to keep them out of the sun.

Same here they get like saunas. That might get a part of it. Either way wasting too much time with repairs and it warranty crap. Luckily I have 6 it 7 Impacts due to the fact of having 1-4 out for repairs at anytime. Granite I do a lot 3-6" of sds several thousands per year.

I have noticed my toughsystem trap heat inside the box. I open the box on a hot day and feel the inside of the box is noticeably warmer than the outside. I try to keep them out of the sun but sometimes it is either not practical or not possible to keep them out of the sun.

It's the heat.  Heat kills the cells faster than anything.   If you abuse the cells when they are already hot they won't last long.  Mine get used hard daily and are kept fully charged most of the time.  But I don't store them in a hot place and let them cool before charging if they do get hot.  Some of my 6.0 flexvolts are over 2 years old and still as strong as ever.  All of my 9's are over a year old.  I have 2.0 and 4.0 packs from 2013/2014.  Still work great.  But look terrible!

• Like 1

Gotta be the roof top heat....I have dozen of flex 6 and a dozen flex 9 and 4 flex 12...no problems with the batteries at all. Use them 7 days a week framing ,in all weather....since they came out.

@CityDecks why are you using flexvolt batteries on an impact driver? Way to big and unbalanced...a 5ah or 20v 6ah at most is all you need...we don't put more then a 5ah on a drill or impact...

If you like the Makita rear handle ,that's cool....but we have 3 of them  and noone uses them,way underpowered and awkward balance.... nothing comes close to the POWA of the dewalt  577....best cordless/ corded saw ever made...

..The new Milwaukee HD circ is underpowered also,bogs down and is the physically largest 7 1/4 I've ever used, it's ridiculous, huge motor..

• Haha 1

And it was ridiculously hot this summer. I'm getting Hilti Lefty 36v in CPL of weeks. If it's good I'll go all hilti. Other issue with DeWalt impact is we burn them rather quickly. Warranty or not slot of service. Heat and driving cpl hundred sds gets them really hot to the point of not being able to hold so we grab different gun. Hilt's just get warm after 100+. Sds but no where near DEWALT temps.

Gotta be the roof top heat....I have dozen of flex 6 and a dozen flex 9 and 4 flex 12...no problems with the batteries at all. Use them 7 days a week framing ,in all weather....since they came out.
    [mention=56839]CityDecks[/mention] why are you using flexvolt batteries on an impact driver? Way to big and unbalanced...a 5ah or 20v 6ah at most is all you need...we don't put more then a 5ah on a drill or impact...
    If you like the Makita rear handle ,that's cool....but we have 3 of them  and noone uses them,way underpowered and awkward balance.... nothing comes close to the POWA of the dewalt  577....best cordless/ corded saw ever made...
      ..The new Milwaukee HD circ is underpowered also,bogs down and is the physically largest 7 1/4 I've ever used, it's ridiculous, huge motor..

@CityDecks...wow if your using the Dewalt dvf899 ,3 speed impact wrench..and it's getting hot driving tapcons ,never heard of that.

We use the dewalt sds max drill to drill 9" x 1/2" holes 90-120..then 

We drive 1/2" x 8" Titan bolts into concrete foundations about 90-120 per house , with the 899 impact wrench...gets warm but never hot, it's about 2 years old.....we use it for many applications...like driving 8-10" truss locks ,flat locks, into quad or 6x ply Engineered lumber...no problems so far...

Maybe where you are ,is extremely hott?  

Impact driver dcf887b. Simpson sds flat heads t40 bit or 3/8 hex head 3-6". 200-300 day. We do 20,000 ++sf Miles of leadgers and beams and 6*6 blocking for top mount Rails. No Titan or masonry achors but when it's masonry we use tapcons to tack up then threaded rod rod and epoxy. Most of our jobs we're attaching to brick.

I think he means they have 887s and 886s joe.

Dcs577b sirc is nice but but cutting has gone down from 165+/- 2*10/12 cross cuts to 60+/- before BATTS bonk. Went DeWalt service center to drop off some repairs and gad batts tested. 2- were warranty fried. 2- Water damage. 4- tested ok but still crap out. 2

Impact driver dcf887b. Simpson sds flat heads t40 bit or 3/8 hex head 3-6". 200-300 day. We do 20,000 ++sf Miles of leadgers and beams and 6*6 blocking for top mount Rails. No Titan or masonry achors but when it's masonry we use tapcons to tack up then threaded rod rod and epoxy. Most of our jobs we're attaching to brick.

Are we talking about the 7 1/4 Lefty worm drive style? Yes?
The dewalt is off balanced and actually about 2lbs lighter the Maki. But Maki is way more balanced which offsets weight difference. I can hardly notice. Also I not really pleased with batt life in Maki either. I just picked up one with 5 - 5.0 Batts DBL charger, single charger and compact impact for 369.00 at Makita party trailer at home Depot. . Love the ergonamics of saw and Impact. Good speed on impact. Actually faster then my Hilti sid but then again Hilti has 1700+ lbs and just smokes anything I throw at it. Maki and hilt are very nicely sized and lighter then dewalt with flexvolt.

Actually the Makita rear handle has plenty of power. The dewalt has more but it’s not needed. The dewalt is too heavy unbalanced and it’s short battery life is a bummer. It’s a real disappointment. Actually it falls in boat anchor status. 

Are we talking about the 7 1/4 Lefty worm drive style? Yes?
The dewalt is off balanced and actually about 2lbs lighter the Maki. But Maki is way more balanced which offsets weight difference. I can hardly notice. Also I not really pleased with batt life in Maki either. I just picked up one with 5 - 5.0 Batts DBL charger, single charger and compact impact for 369.00 at Makita party trailer at home Depot. . Love the ergonamics of saw and Impact. Good speed on impact. Actually faster then my Hilti sid but then again Hilti has 1700+ lbs and just smokes anything I throw at it. Maki and hilt are very nicely sized and lighter then dewalt with flexvolt.

Look at this beastScreenshot_20181026-061649.jpeg