Flexvolt

CityDecks

7 hours ago, Biggie said:

What are you talking about "old" it says right on it that it's new.  It's a SIW 22T-A and it used to be a SIW 18T-A haha.  I'm sure it's a fine tool just pretty big in size and weight for the torque it puts out.

Ow sorry didn't notice the number changed ! Carry on then :D

In regards to the heat in the batteris -

I played around and cut a 450mm H beam today. To complete the cut I went through two 6ah flexvolt batteries in the DCS690 and half of one full charge of 7ah LiHD batteries on the metabo WPB 36-18 LTX BL 230. When comparing the two one directly after the other, the Metabo has a lot more power when the dewalt is running the 6.0's, in saying that though, the dewalt has great power too and definitely has more power when I put a 9.0 in.

The metabo can be pushed harder, but is more awkward to vertically cut with, and the dewalt is much more comfortable to use vertically and cuts slightly deeper. Horizontally it's the other way around, except for depth of cut obviously.

The metabo batteries got warm, but not as warm as the flexvolt batteries, both packs were too hot to charge as in the photo below. The dewalt batteries also get hotter due to them being fully enclosed in the tool with its water and dust tight seal. The 9.0 got just as hot when I did another cut. After a few minutes on the charger both started to charge. It was also 32 degrees here today. I'd find it hard to believe that the batteries would get as hot as they did using these tools when using an impact driver.

I've used my AEG and milwaukee impact drivers to screw 12mm coach screws into redgum non stop with 5ah batteties until flat when i put up my retainer walls and the tool nor battery got hot enough to worry about, pre drilled of course. I'm wondering what it is that is causing you so much grief when you say you always have several out for repair?

Here is a quicker method of cutting the beams today (there is actually 2 x 450mm H beams in that cut) if only it was cordless and didn't weigh so much 😄

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ap5wHcMpyIC-hZsf9RbB50Ne6zQJAQ

Forgot to mention my batteries go straight onto the chargers once drained, regardless of heat and are always stored fully charged.

20181102_084635.jpg

That's correct, but keeping in mind the flexvolt 6 is 108wh, so 216wh for the two batteries and the metabo 2 x 18 is 252wh.

Also it's approximately 800mm of cutting an average of 12mm steel. The section is approx 11mm and the flanges are approx 13mm. I only had 2.2mm cutting wheels also, I had run out of the 1.9mm discs. That makes quite a difference in run time.

• Thanks 2

On 10/31/2018 at 11:48 AM, Pouet said:

32 amps is the output not the input. The voltage is already reduced from 120v to 20v at that point so you can push a lot more current without tripping the breaker. 

You have to look at it in terms of power not amps. A 15A breaker will trip when the instantaneous power goes over 120v *15a = 1800 W. If you are charging 20v batteries, it means you got 1800W/20V = 60A avaible not 15A. Of course, this is just an approximation since we are not taking in account the energy loss by the power supply and other stuff, but it gives you an idea of what's possible. The problem is not the current availabe but the heat build up with these high currents. You need some ventilation to clear it out.

Ah. Duh. That’s what I get for responding too fast and not thinking!! 

I have been wondering why they don’t make a dedicated flexvolt charger charging at 60v? Seems like it would charge faster... or is this another poor understanding of electronics on my part?

18 hours ago, dilloncorr said:

Ah. Duh. That’s what I get for responding too fast and not thinking!! 

I have been wondering why they don’t make a dedicated flexvolt charger charging at 60v? Seems like it would charge faster... or is this another poor understanding of electronics on my part?

54v at 4 amps would be the same charge rate as 18v at 12 amps.  DeWalt could even push the 20700 cells to 6 amps or 18 amps at 18v for 9ah flexvolts.  It would be great for charge times but might wear the batteries faster.

5 hours ago, TrimmerMatt said:

54v at 4 amps would be the same charge rate as 18v at 12 amps

Exactly, the power coming out of your wall is going to be the same either way

Also if everyone had to buy a separate charger on top of everything else it just makes Flexvolt look even more like an entirely different platform than it already is

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Like I mentioned before it is impossible to drain a battery before other is charged. New saw should be in any day now also got to there cordless barrel grip jig saw coming in Jan

Yes. 35+/- min on pic. The other one us faster and these are bigger 5.2 batteries8abab83798b0177f46909291ad260970.jpg8b893dd092e5878e1558ae93a8af5fbe.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Not for standard charger. Off by 5 min +/- off. And let's keep in I did not sit there drinking coffee and watching it.
Dewalt never less the 1/hr. Maki 45/min. Hilti 30+/- on standard and approximately 15/min faster in hilti 22v is dam Good.
Recently did test in shop between Hilti and Maki impact drivers. With 70 - 5"*1/4" Simpson sds lag's Maki was getting pretty hot in handle and down to 2/bars on battery with 5.0amp. Hilti was just shy of full 4/bars and barly warm at bit tip area. Speed was dm close between the two. Not saying Maki is bad but would fail soon so impact wrench is absolutely needed to keep pumping.

Was just about to say the same thing. It's a normal charger, nothing special. You were only 20min off your original estimate [emoji1]

DeWalt's rapid charger is 8 amp output and fan cooled so it cools the batteries too. 2x rate of the Hilti.
Makita rapid is 8 amp output.
Hitachi/Metabo HPT charger is 9 amp. Bosch rapid is 8 amp output with a 16 amp output charger coming next year with boost mode.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

So if dewalt and Hilti both 4amp chargers doesn’t that mean for instance if 2 identical batteries were placed in the chargers they would charge at the same rate ?

What formula makes the hilti faster 4amp charger+Hilti Nostalgia = Fastest in the market ?

CityDeck claims never under an 1hr for dewalt 4amp but Hilti 4amp charges in 35 mins. Either the dewalt batteries your using are bigger than your Hilti’s or your just as I assumed biased against dewalt and for Hilti.

No idea but it does.

So if dewalt and Hilti both 4amp chargers doesn’t that mean for instance if 2 identical batteries were placed in the chargers they would charge at the same rate ?

What formula makes the hilti faster 4amp charger+Hilti Nostalgia = Fastest in the market ?

CityDeck claims never under an 1hr for dewalt 4amp but Hilti 4amp charges in 35 mins. Either the dewalt batteries your using are bigger than your Hilti’s or your just as I assumed biased against dewalt and for Hilti.

It's been a long wait coming

DeWalt's rapid charger is 8 amp output and fan cooled so it cools the batteries too. 2x rate of the Hilti.
Makita rapid is 8 amp output.
Hitachi/Metabo HPT charger is 9 amp. Bosch rapid is 8 amp output with a 16 amp output charger coming next year with boost mode.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Flexvolt 6.0 amp and 5.0 still take an HR Even there fan cooled charger.

You've probably got a bad Hilti battery. 

One of my new 3.0ah Hitachi batteries charges from flat to full in only 5 minutes! 

Hitachi have very fast fan cooled chargers, but I'm going to use common sense in this case. It's a bad battery. It likely ran too flat while in storage. I've had the same happen with individual 18650 cells I use for flashlights.