Does Makita make a 1/2” drill with an anti-kickback feature?

Brianjkeene

7 hours ago, Brianjkeene said:

As the title asks. Anyone know?

I think....let me repeat...”think”, Bosch and Mafell are the only two companies with anti kickback in their drills. I do not own a Mafell drill but I had the first gen Bosch with anti kickback. Worked awesome. 

I ended up getting rid of the Bosch because the drill was huge. They have since released a couple of their newest most compact beasts with the same feature. I wish me Dewalt or my PDC had it but being I didn’t attend mechanic training 101  I’ve taken some pretty good bites from my drills while using hole saws mostly or hitting a particularly deep knot in hardwood. As far as what @kornomaniac says he sells those things all day long and knows exactly what Makita has to offer.

• Thanks 1

Hitachi (the full sized drill) and possibly Metabo have it as well. Or I could be mistaken. 

I nearly went for the 18V compact Bosch DDS183 but ended up going with an 18V compact Hitachi DS18DBFL2 (which doesn't have it).

I just use the clutch. It seems to be quite effective. For what I do, it doesn't slip, and it's saved me a few times while drilling metal. Actually, I'm certain the Hitachi manual says to use the clutch to avoid kickback (yes, I savour the entire experience and read the manuals). 

I don't use large hole saws though, so perhaps a clutch won't hold for those. 

• Haha 1

These have anti-kickback or bind up control:

Milwaukee Fuel Gen2 with OneKey
Milwaukee Fuel Gen3 with OneKey (releases this month)

DeWalt DCD997 with Tool Connect

Hitachi (Metabo HPT) DV18DBL2 (also IP56 rated)

Bosch top tier premium drills

Hilti top tier premium drill

Mafell drills (rebranded Metabo) supposedly have it although my Metabo do not.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Never understood the need for anti-kickback in drill-drivers. If it's something you're worried about use the side handle or if that's not possible use the driver clutch. 

Understandable in rotaries but even then most have a clutch now.

That does not work.if you get a kick back on a big enough drill you won’t be able to stop it.

The truck is wrap your hand around the handle with your thumb on the same side as your fingers. If it kicks it jumps out of your hand but does not break your wrist and put you out of work for 2 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, paulengr said:

That does not work.if you get a kick back on a big enough drill you won’t be able to stop it.

The truck is wrap your hand around the handle with your thumb on the same side as your fingers. If it kicks it jumps out of your hand but does not break your wrist and put you out of work for 2 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll take your word for it but I'm afraid my own experience suggests otherwise. 

On 11/4/2018 at 10:18 AM, SchenzhenSpecial said:

I'll take your word for it but I'm afraid my own experience suggests otherwise. 

Plenty of plumbers can tell a story about a big right angle drill giving them a kiss when it binds. Add a ladder to the mix and multiply the fun.

Doesn’t take much to hit a nail and have your drill let you know about it. The handle on my 996 is pretty pathetic for leverage. The 791 doesn’t come with a handle at all. Prior generation Milwaukee handles weren’t al that difficult to break off. Gen3 Fuel and the flagship Makita are better in that regard though. 

1 minute ago, Bremon said:

Plenty of plumbers can tell a story about a big right angle drill giving them a kiss when it binds. Add a ladder to the mix and multiply the fun.

Doesn’t take much to hit a nail and have your drill let you know about it. The handle on my 996 is pretty pathetic for leverage. The 791 doesn’t come with a handle at all. Prior generation Milwaukee handles weren’t al that difficult to break off. Gen3 Fuel and the flagship Makita are better in that regard though. 

Are we talking right angle drills or 1/2" pistol drills tho?

As I said. If you're worried, engage the driver clutch and if it does bind it wont break your wrist.

And before anyone says it, I run 6" hole cutters like that daily without issue.