Dcs355b question

Babysaw

So I just picked up the cordless multi master for myself, a tool I’m very familiar with from a previous employer having one. Am I crazy or didn’t the clamp lever use to be metal? Mine is some kind of hard plastic. The lever works great, and the tool has a 2018 stamp in the battery slot. 

Any input is appreciated. Happy Saturday fellas

Edited by Babysaw
Grammatical errors
  • Like 1

Just returned from Home Depot, where the display DCS355B had a conveniently broken lever.  It's hard to tell from the poor quality cell phone pics, but the lever is definitely plastic of some sort.  You can almost see the texture and some areas of lighter (almost neutral) tones.

This was a 2017-dated Type 2.

20181105_120056.thumb.jpg.bf355992e3b782db6800b948c124c75f.jpg20181105_120001.thumb.jpg.bd49d3040ee0a6591d69d60d5f2ff0c6.jpg20181105_120004.thumb.jpg.9b3109bbc32a47170f33aaf8257116e5.jpg

Whatever plastic is used it is very strong and durable. The lack of flex makes it pretty convincing that it could be metal. Also with the spring on the blade release as strong as it is, you would think a plastic lever would break or bend. Kinda cool how far plastic technology has come.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jronman said:

Whatever plastic is used it is very strong and durable. The lack of flex makes it pretty convincing that it could be metal. Also with the spring on the blade release as strong as it is, you would think a plastic lever would break or bend. Kinda cool how far plastic technology has come.

Plastic production and the distance it has come is the result of manufacurers being cheap. If it works it doesn't matter but the quality of machined or even cast parts is becoming a neccesity when required rather than an expectation.

There's also an environmental impact by using more readily disposible plastics.