Track Saw T Square

Albertd718

Yes, the DeWalt DWS5027 Tracksaw T-Square has been discontinued and is no longer available.

This review of that DeWalt DWS5027 square, with the Festool track system, reveals that, in this example, the DeWalt square was close but not square.

Given that the DeWalt fits the Festool rack, then the converse might also be true. An option that could be explored is getting a Festool square for usage with your DeWalt rack.

Thanks for responses so far. No, I don’t want to spend hundreds going to Festool guide rails just for this - not rational. Plus, you do lose functionality going that route anyway. Was hoping maybe someone knows of something aftermarket perhaps. 

If you bought another track, you could fasten a drywall square to it.

$100 mod and you’d probably end up measuring before you cut anyway.

I use the clamps occasionally, they work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Albertd718 I started with the DeWALT guide rails and I did extensive searching on squares for the rails and every option was either discontinued or wasn't compatible. I considered the used route from places like ebay and the like but from research on the square DeWALT made for their guide rails I found many people said it wasn't square out of the box. I decided to try out a more premium option and it was worth every penny.

I’ve had my tracksaw for quite some time and use it when cutting down sheet goods. Often it is expensive plywood or veneer for cabinet sides, backs, and shelves. So I can’t mess around with cuts being out. I’ve always used the dewalt clamps. Measure both ends of the piece, line up the track, clamp both ends, and cut. Way more accurate than relying on what looks like to be an 8” perpendicular piece of metal. Takes a minute more to set up the cut but I’m paid by the hour and having a cut out by 1/16 or worse is not an option.

Festi and Makita should fit

Hey everyone!

I got the flex volt track saw (loving it). I’m looking for a T Square for the track but cant seem to find any. Dewalt seems to have discontinued the one they made some time ago. Anyone have any ideas on a t square compatible with the dewalt track with good reviews? Thanks!!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2018 at 9:30 AM, deedub35 said:

I’ve had my tracksaw for quite some time and use it when cutting down sheet goods. Often it is expensive plywood or veneer for cabinet sides, backs, and shelves. So I can’t mess around with cuts being out. I’ve always used the dewalt clamps. Measure both ends of the piece, line up the track, clamp both ends, and cut. Way more accurate than relying on what looks like to be an 8” perpendicular piece of metal. Takes a minute more to set up the cut but I’m paid by the hour and having a cut out by 1/16 or worse is not an option.

The edge you're taking your measurements from would need to be square to begin with otherwise your cuts would be off and with the Dewalt tracks there's no good way to hold a square against the track because of it having two anti splinter guards 

I have the corded version of the Dewalt track saw and had bought the woodpeckers track square which was a one time tool but it's not a set and forget option for any of the tracks it can be used on, you still need to use a good square on it before tightening the knobs underneath it and even then it's not 100% accurate because you're squaring off the rubber edge which could be all cut up or whatever. I've since gotten the makita 36v track saw and purchased the tso grs 16 pe square and that's a set it and forget it square as it registers off the aluminum edge of the guide rail which leaves it being accurate. I had often thought of making my own square which would register off the groove on the bottom of the track but never got around to trying anything, something along the lines of a miter bar with plywood attached to it could work 

The edge you're taking your measurements from would need to be square to begin with otherwise your cuts would be off and with the Dewalt tracks there's no good way to hold a square against the track because of it having two anti splinter guards 
I think the square would be ideal if its on dedicated track for entire phase or Job.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Paddy said:

True and good point. But I’ve never had a 4x8 sheet of plywood, mdf, or even drywall be out of square. There’s always a framing square close by to check before cuts.

You can hold a framing square against the anti splinter strips. After the first use of the tracksaw the edge of the strip IS where the left kerf of the saw blade is. The strip is straight and parallel to the metal track - just not the very end bits but that overhangs the material anyways.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

@Parthmad I own the grs-16 pe guide rail square. I also own both DeWALT and Festool guide rails. The DeWALT rails are not compatible. The nice thing about the DeWALT track saw is it is compatible with Festool guide rails. Possibly Makita and Triton but I am not for sure. Before I got my Festool TSC55 I used my DeWALT on the Festool rails and it worked great. I did not find any decent squaring options for the DeWALT rails. DeWALT used to sell a square but it is discontinued. They are getting harder to find and if you do find one, it is hard to find one that is actually square. I heard it had accuracy issues.