Looking for a planer

Rustic Builder

Second that. I've never owned any other cordless planers other than the dcp580 and as Babysaw mentioned, I've done cross grain through jarrah at full depth and it worked well. It feels nice to use, adjustment is solid also. I've only got flexvolt batteries in my collection so  I  am not sure what it is like with standard batteries though. 

• Like 1

Are you looking for a woodworking planer or a hand held construction type planer?

As far as I know, the 734 is not being discontinued.  It hasn't received an update in some time, but that's largely because it doesn't need one.  Honestly though, if you can track down a used 735, that is a much better machine than just the extra 1/2" of blade width would suggest.

15 hours ago, Rustic Builder said:

Can anyone recommend a planer to me?  I am looking at the Dewalt 734 model but get the feeling that one is being discontinued. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

I’ve had the 734 for several years, I’ve heard nothing of a replacement either. Like rrich says support is important but that’s true for all planers.

18 hours ago, method said:

Second that. I've never owned any other cordless planers other than the dcp580 and as Babysaw mentioned, I've done cross grain through jarrah at full depth and it worked well. It feels nice to use, adjustment is solid also. I've only got flexvolt batteries in my collection so  I  am not sure what it is like with standard batteries though. 

I’ve noticed a difference using 4.0 ah batteries. The new slim 21700 cell and flex batteries offer more oomph than your older stuff with 18650 cells. 

Good luck with your planer search dude

1 hour ago, Babysaw said:

I’ve noticed a difference using 4.0 ah batteries. The new slim 21700 cell and flex batteries offer more oomph than your older stuff with 18650 cells. 

This is interesting I wonder if any of that would inch the Dewalt cordless planer ahead of the Makita since they don’t have larger cells yet

Check Craigslist for an older PM100. Not portable but a bullet proof planer and you can sharpen the blades.

If you want portable the 735 is bad ass with the 734 coming in close. I used the 734 for a few years before finding a good used PM100.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Babysaw said:

I even notice a difference with the 9ah as opposed to the 6. Wish they would hurry up and release the 12!