Cordless die grinder feedback DCG426

method

Looking at getting a cordless die grinder tomorrow. Has anyone used the dewalt? It seems to have the most features. Metabo looks good but isn't variable speed, milwaukee has some bad reviews and is 5000rpm slower than dewalt.

I use a corded metabo atm and the biggest question I have is if the 18v cordless tools have as much power as the corded die grinders? I think my corded is 700w and I can push it very hard without it slowing down much at all.

I was also looking at picking up the dewalt.  I see you're from Australia so I'm sure prices are completely different but right now at CPO you can get one for $119 no tax and free shipping in the States and when they first came out they were around $180.  I currently have the m18 die grinder which I don't use all that often but I have no complaints about it.  I would say its more powerful than the little air die grinder we have but I have no experience with a corded model.  I'm just getting a dewalt for a truck we have that has all dewalt but all the reviews I've seen were positive other than the trigger not being able to lock on.  So you always have to have a finger on the trigger but some of that is a preference thing.

I picked one up today along with the 54v grinder, a 54v blower and four more 9ah batteries. The black Friday deal is really good I traded in my brushed 18v near 8yo metabo grinder and got $100 off the 54v grinder. If you trade in any cordless skin excluding radios and torches, regardless of brand or age you get $100 off 11 selected dewalt skins. The cordless die grinder was $249 and the Australian shipments were apparently given 6mm collets which are useless here and will be replaced by 1/4" collets.

I went to use it at work after asking in store if it accepts 1/4", was told it does and then found that none of my carbide bits fit. The store gave me a makita collet to use until the dewalt ones come in later this month but it comes loose after a few minutes of use.

Power wise it only feels slightly less powerful than my corded metabo when you really push it, other than that it is heaps quieter and had plenty of power. The variable speed is awesome, the speed selector switch is stiff unlike some reviews saying it doesn't work well and the safety button with no locking on mode takes some getting use to however, the reason for it makes sense and after a few minutes you don't even think of it.  

The 54v grinder is hands down the best cordless grinder I have used. I only managed to make it stop by putting extreme pressure on it with the grinding wheel on inside a cut made the full depth of the metal disc into 20mm steel which was putting pressure on both the top and bottom of the wheel if that makes sense otherwise, under normal grinding conditions it does not stop let alone slow down under load.

The 54v blower comes with a 6ah battery and charger for $249, you can't go wrong if you are after one.

• Like 1

I used to own the Dewalt 18V die grinder but ended up selling it and getting a 12V Bosch rotary tool. I just needed something smaller. I got mine when they first released. It was $279 AUD from Gettoolsdirect. 

I agree with the performance, it has plenty of power and the variable speed is great! I really liked it other than the length and safety switch. Very good LED lighting as well. 

Mine had a fair bit of vibration. It actually had about the same amount as my cordless Dewalt multitool. Maybe something was wrong with it.

How's the vibration on yours @method

8 hours ago, D W said:

I used to own the Dewalt 18V die grinder but ended up selling it and getting a 12V Bosch rotary tool. I just needed something smaller. I got mine when they first released. It was $279 AUD from Gettoolsdirect. 

I agree with the performance, it has plenty of power and the variable speed is great! I really liked it other than the length and safety switch. Very good LED lighting as well. 

Mine had a fair bit of vibration. It actually had about the same amount as my cordless Dewalt multitool. Maybe something was wrong with it.

How's the vibration on yours @method

I have a corded Bosch multitool and the vibration is a lot less on the dewalt. I actually didn't even notice any vibration until the makita chuck loosened off. What brand bits were you using? The corded metabo die grinder I use has little to no vibration also. 

Jronman I noticed this with my first brushless impact gun, much quieter.

• Thanks 1

It had vibration all the time, even when no bits were used. It must have been faulty. It honestly felt just like using the multitool, or any multitool.

I'm a big fan of the trigger style grip Dewalt is using on the multitool, die grinder, and flexvolt grinder. I wish one of their new brushless 18V angle grinders had it (I am aware of the old brushed version). 

You are right, a lock button is much more versatile. I guess they want to stop people picking up the tool and pulling the trigger by mistake without worrying about it being locked out. One tool I wish had this feature is my cordless t536li xp. It's so easy to pick it up, forget the bar isn't locked and it starts, after years of using gas chainsaws you get use to knowing it's on by the noise.

On 11/22/2018 at 8:17 PM, method said:

I went to use it at work after asking in store if it accepts 1/4", was told it does and then found that none of my carbide bits fit. The store gave me a makita collet to use until the dewalt ones come in later this month but it comes loose after a few minutes of use.

Dewalt’s corded die grinders have a 1/4 collect. The parts is around $40 from Dewalt Australia. I got them to take a 1/4 collect out of a corded model at Sydney Tools and they ordered a new one to replace that. 

Ive got the 54v grinder but prefer the 18v brushless grinder. A tad less power. I use grinder daily and found my self picking the 18v grinder more. Longer runtime too with a 9.0 than the 54v grinder 

• 2 weeks later...

I got mine today, and being in America I'm a little annoyed that they use metric wenches for the collet.  The tool will be on a truck that doesn't have metric tools and I'm sure it wont take long to lose those cheapo wrenches they send with it, which will lead to using cresent wrenches and vise grips which will lead to striping.  I know it wont happen overnight or that its dewalts fault it'll be abused but its just the reality of the job site. 

Drill a hole in it and wrap the tool to the cord. Like a chuck...never lost. On cordless can't help you there. Keep a dedicated tool box (L-Boxx, Tough system, pack out, t stak, etc.) with your bits. Wrench goes in there too and goes right back in the box with the bits when not in use. Never lost.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

We are use to metric/imperial here in Australia. Some things you work on have both just to be annoying! Agree with the box idea. I started to do that over the last few years. It keeps everything together, even at times when it isn't organised (more often than not) at least you know it's all there.