Dewalt Chainsaw - 40V vs. 60V

BigJack

I'm invested in both 40V and 60V platforms.  Is there a difference between the two battery chainsaws?  I know they operate at different voltages (duh), but voltage doesn't equate to power; watts do. Are there subtle differences between the two units that are not advertised?

https://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/outdoor-power-equipment/40v-max-xr-16-cordless-chainsaw-bare/dccs690b

https://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/outdoor-power-equipment/flexvolt-60v-max-cordless-chainsaw-tool-only/dccs670b

I've never looked at the specs of these two products but the reviews show the 54v model throwing chains because of a cheap tensioning system.

If the power of the two are rated the same,  I'd go with flexvolt because theoretically the motor and internals are not working as hard, or should I say, being pushed as hard. An 18v platform requires higher amps (more heat and stress on the tool and battery) to output the same amount of power. You might see a benefit from newer batteries with larger, higher current drawing cells with the flexvolt line. I'm not sure what cells are in the latest 18v dewalt tools though as I do not own any 18v batteries.

You can get same power as the higher voltage tools with lower voltage tools but they work harder. 18v tools are less efficient under load than higher voltage tools. More heat and more of the battery drained. Your 40v tools in theory should be less efficient than the 60v tools. I think the difference between the 40v chainsaw and the 60v chainsaw would be a bit of a wash but I could be wrong.

• 1 month later...

True, at the same power draw, lower voltage tools will draw more current, after all P=VA or A=P/V. Higher current = more heat, I don't believe however the difference in current draw between 40v and 60v line up will make any noticeable difference in tool's life. One noticeable difference between the two is the battery run time. 40v battery is about double the size of a 60v battery, it packs more juice (W/hr) giving your tool a longer run time. I've also never read anything negative on 40v chainsaw, considering I didn't read a lot because I wasn't interested in getting into a 40v line up, just for the sake of comparison with a 60v version. And the reviews on 60v were a very mixed bunch, either very negative (bad chain tensioner, heavy oil consumption), or very positive. Many of the reviewers mentioned heavy oil consumption, but not all of them seen it as a negative.

In the end I've decided to postpone switching to an electric chainsaw and gave my stihl a proper tuning it deserved. 🙂

• 4 months later...

40v and 60v both having almost the same configuration and best in performing, both own a brand value of Dewalt which is reliable and provide ease of work 40v have specification like which is quite similar to 60v chainsaw

• The 40V Lithium-particle battery is tradable with all Greenworks 40V items 
  • 16" Oregon Bar and Chain slices up to 28" logs source
  • Brushless engine conveys up to 30% more torque for more prominent cutting execution 
  • Brushless engine configuration offers up to 70% less vibration for client comfort while working 
  • Chain brake and low kickback chain for expanded client security 
  • The electric engine kicks you off inside seconds and disposes of the issue of gas draw lines and risky exhaust 
  • Apparatus less chain tensioning for speedy modifications so you can return to the main job

40V Chainsaw_Hero_alt4_tool_only.png

just  to be sure I read right

the dewalt 40vmax batteryis fully compatible with the greeworks 40v tools ??

2)arethe greenworks batteriescompatiblewith Dewalt 40max tools ?

==>The 40V Lithium-particle battery is tradable with all Greenworks 40V items 

if so,doesdewaltown greenworks ?

or did greenworks license the battery system ?

chargers compatible ?

cheers

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:50 AM, BigJack said:

I'm invested in both 40V and 60V platforms.  Is there a difference between the two battery chainsaws?  I know they operate at different voltages (duh), but voltage doesn't equate to power; watts do. Are there subtle differences between the two units that are not advertised?

https://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/outdoor-power-equipment/40v-max-xr-16-cordless-chainsaw-bare/dccs690b

https://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/outdoor-power-equipment/flexvolt-60v-max-cordless-chainsaw-tool-only/dccs670b

Not to be pedantic, but all things being equal voltage does correlate to power.

P = IV = I^2*R = V^2/R

Where:

P=Power

I= Current

V= Voltage

R= Resistance

Assuming the resistance stays about the same between the 40V and 60V units, 

P(60)=(60^2)/R

P(40)=(40^2)/R

P(60)/P(40)= [(60^2)/R]/[(40^2)/R]=3,600/1,600=

or 2.25x's as much power in a 60V vs a 40V, assuming all else is equal.

(someone correct me if the rust on my old engineering degree has screwed something up.  But I think this is correct)

Now if we want to identify work done, it would be:

W= P*t

W=Work 

P= Power

t=time

Personally I like the backwards compatibility of the flexvolt and plan on sticking with either 20v or 60V tools.

Your assumption of fixed resistance is off because you have to factor in series resistance which if all cells are the same internal resistance, 60 V means 33% more series resistance so the current decreases by that amount, leaving you with roughly similar performance. Then there's the issue of voltage drop proportional to square of current so you can quickly see why something as simple as P=VI is not simple at all. Hence Milwaukee for instance has stayed with 18 V batteries where Dewalt goes up to 56 on a FlexVolt but hasn't so far had a vastly superior advantage, never mind say Kobalt 24 V. Then we can really confuse things when you realize brushless commutation means the rotors are DC with an AC rectifier feeding them and often synchronous so the fields are actually AC. A DC to AC converter as well as DC to DC can easily increase or decrease the voltage in the process so motor voltage is independent of battery voltage and hence the higher voltages play off losses in the wiring (IxIxR) against increased battery series resistance. Hence no easy relationships where voltage is definitive.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, paulengr said:

Your assumption of fixed resistance is off because you have to factor in series resistance which if all cells are the same internal resistance, 60 V means 33% more series resistance so the current decreases by that amount, leaving you with roughly similar performance. Then there's the issue of voltage drop proportional to square of current so you can quickly see why something as simple as P=VI is not simple at all. Hence Milwaukee for instance has stayed with 18 V batteries where Dewalt goes up to 56 on a FlexVolt but hasn't so far had a vastly superior advantage, never mind say Kobalt 24 V. Then we can really confuse things when you realize brushless commutation means the rotors are DC with an AC rectifier feeding them and often synchronous so the fields are actually AC. A DC to AC converter as well as DC to DC can easily increase or decrease the voltage in the process so motor voltage is independent of battery voltage and hence the higher voltages play off losses in the wiring (IxIxR) against increased battery series resistance. Hence no easy relationships where voltage is definitive.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

The voltage would be measured at the tool, I doubt the resistance between two chain saws would be all that much.  the internal resistance to the battery wouldnt have much impact because you are delivering double the voltage hence square of the power.  There would be very little to no voltage drop within the battery, because there just isn't going to be much resistance between cells, regardless of rather they are in series or not. 
The mount of work you care about would be at the output of the tool, not within the battery.  (BTW, it would take more resistance to wire up something in parallel vs something in series all things being equal.)

On 6/15/2019 at 7:17 PM, Jronman said:

so back to the question Are DeWALT 40v tools and Greenworks 40v batteries compatible? Could also ask are Greenworks 40v tools compatible with DeWALT 40v batteries?

I'd be interested to know the definitive answer too but I am 98% sure that it is not the case. He probably just copied the description text of the greenworks 40v chainsaw.

Greenworks 82/80/60/40/24 batteries have a lot of clones (kobalt, powerworks, cramer, briggs and stratton, stiga, masport, victa), all manufactured by Globe tools group. Despite looking exactly the same, sharing the same design and coming from the same factory, they are not compatible among brands. Well that's not entirely true, In fact they are, but you can't insert a Kobalt battery in a Greenworks tool and vice versa unless you start grinding the guiding rails. 

If even blatant clones are designed to be incompatible, I would not expect any out-of-the-box compatibility between Greenworks and Dewalt.

• 1 month later...

Workshop addict reviewed both versions of the chainsaw and noted that the 40V version has more power than the 60V.  I went ahead and picked up the 40V since that's what I'm already using with my existing outdoor power equipment.  I'm totally happy with it.

• 2 years later...

My 40v dewalt chainsaw just started smoking.  Not really used much so disappointed with this tool.  My 40v leaf blower worked great until it disintegrated the notched belt it uses to change ratio on the drive.   Got all 20v tools and they work fine but the 40v stuff doesn’t seem to last long.  And I don’t use them much. 

Well, for better or worse, 40v has gone the way of the dodo.  I thought about buying a 40v mower almost four years ago, when the initial 20v mower was getting some bad press due to runtime.  I went with EGO instead, and little over a year later I saw this: https://toolguyd.com/dewalt-40v-max-cordless-outdoor-power-tools-discontinued/.

There's nothing more disappointing than buying a "professional" or "premium" item and having it fail with little use.  When you buy Ryobi you expect to get your money's worth, but you don't expect it to perform on the same level as DeWalt or Milwaukee.  When you buy one of the latter brands you pay for something that is supposedly engineered and manufactured to survive heavy usage.  When those tools fail with little use (usually after the warranty period), it makes you wonder if you just threw away that money...

On 05.12.2018 at 10:50, BigJack said:

Hem 40V hem de 60V platformlarına yatırım yaptım. İki akülü testere arasında bir fark var mı? Farklı voltajlarda çalıştıklarını biliyorum (hah), ancak voltaj güce eşit değil; watt yapar. Reklamı yapılmayan iki birim arasında ince farklar var mı?

I think 60V is a bit stronger.

• 5 months later...
On 6/11/2019 at 10:10 PM, DewaltLandlord said:

Not to be pedantic, but all things being equal voltage does correlate to power.

P = IV = I^2*R = V^2/R

Where:

P=Power

I= Current

V= Voltage

R= Resistance

Assuming the resistance stays about the same between the 40V and 60V units, 

P(60)=(60^2)/R

P(40)=(40^2)/R

P(60)/P(40)= [(60^2)/R]/[(40^2)/R]=3,600/1,600=

or 2.25x's as much power in a 60V vs a 40V, assuming all else is equal.

(someone correct me if the rust on my old engineering degree has screwed something up.  But I think this is correct)

Now if we want to identify work done, it would be:

W= P*t

W=Work 

P= Power

t=time

Personally I like the backwards compatibility of the flexvolt and plan on sticking with either 20v or 60V tools.

Agreed.  Power is compatible.  But, I think the real issue is Amp Hours.  And the 40V systems seems to crush it there.  Too bad it was put to rest.

• Like 1