Return my Gen2 for Gen3 or keep what the deal i got?

jls1znv

I bought my Gen 2 Stack Out Combo Kit several months with my Home Depot Credit Card. so i have 1 full calendar from date of purchase to return my combo kit.

Here is where i could use some input from people like yourselves:

My kit includes: Hex Impact Driver  2753-20,  Hammer Drill   2704-20     2x REDLITHIUM XC 5.0Ah batteries, 1 x REDLITHIUM XC 9.0Ah HD battery and Stack Out Case.

similar Model # 2897-22PO is the same Stack Out, Drill/Driver combo.

Originally price was $399.00 with free stack-out and free 9.0HD battery.

I need the variable speed on the driver, need the hammer drill, brush-less of course.

Suggestions, thoughts. I am staying with team red.

I

Problem with Milwaukee...and Dewalt....and Makita....and Bosch....and.....

You buy a tool and the model is replaced within a year or too. That’s why as opposed to asking us tool nuts you should probably consult a psychologist for help dealing with a tool addiction.

Welcome to the forums!

🤪

• Like 1

Thanks,  The 9.0HD battery is still packaged up, just wondering if i should trade my Gen 2 set for the new Gen 3 set with comparable batteries ( 2x 5.0 batteries ) for 249.00 and just buy a stack out case.

I just was looking for peoples thoughts on the Gen3 stack outs.

If it was me, I'd change it out because of the chuck and size of the gen3. Realistically, the gen2 is fine but it's chuck can be annoying. The downside to the gen3 is that it's known to get hot with use.

That free battery promo was a pretty good deal though. You might not be able to match that deal for a few years but the 9.0 battery is going for pretty reasonable prices on eBay(new in package).

go with your budget, truth be told I was happy with the first gen fuel line not long ago. I'm currently using gen 2 stuff and don't see a need to upgrade any time. I will of couse at some point. Since I've got the gen 2 M12 stuff drill and impact I hardly grab the M18 tools go figure

• Like 1

On 12/12/2018 at 5:38 AM, ChrisK said:

Problem with Milwaukee...and Dewalt....and Makita....and Bosch....and.....

You buy a tool and the model is replaced within a year or too. That’s why as opposed to asking us tool nuts you should probably consult a psychologist for help dealing with a tool addiction.

Welcome to the forums!

🤪

This...my DeWalt addiction started with a holiday promo consisting of a DCD795 and DCF886 in ToughSystem case.  Since then I've added the DCD790, DCD791, DCD796, DCD995, DCF887, and two DCD996's.

Oh, and the Gen 2 Milwaukee One Key combo, an extra Gen 2 One Key impact driver, and two brushless compact drills.  It's a vicious cycle. :)

I found a decent deal on the new Gen 3 Model 2997-23PO-48-59-1850R

Like the 2997-23PO (Driver, Hammer Drill, Hackall). HD is listing a new model that comes with another 5.0 XC battery and Rapid Charger for the same price as the 2997-23PO. So 3 tools, 2 x 5.0Ah, 1 x HD 6.0Ah battery, 1 reg charger, and 1 rapid charger. To me that seems like something worth it.

Now i will go on the record and voice what others have said about the 2997-23PO. I can't find one locally and was told that i will have to order it through HD, I will be ordering through a service manager and i will be addressing the the other complaint others have and that is about the tray not being there. I'm gonna haggle the price if i am going to lose the tray.

Thanks for your input everyone, I appreciate it and I know that my wife appreciates it. She didn't have to listen to the pro's and con's of each. My biggest gripe about the Hammer Drill was the side handle.

23 hours ago, comp56 said:

go with your budget, truth be told I was happy with the first gen fuel line not long ago. I'm currently using gen 2 stuff and don't see a need to upgrade any time. I will of couse at some point. Since I've got the gen 2 M12 stuff drill and impact I hardly grab the M18 tools go figure

i agree 100 percent i too have the issue, since i got into the m12 fuel, i hardly ever grab my big dewalts.

18 hours ago, mohawkdec said:

i agree 100 percent i too have the issue, since i got into the m12 fuel, i hardly ever grab my big dewalts.

Well i took back the set with no issues, helps that I had receipt, package, bought with HD credit card and talked with HD customer rep before going to my local before hand. Plus tools were unused (sorry no community drill). Not to mention i was polite! I just wish Milwaukee would give us more tools/options for Gen 3 brushless Packout combo kit,  the brushed kit has alot of options. Every other manufacturer gives their brushed and brushless combo kits options. I mean everyone needs a drill/hammer drill and impact driver and batteries. From there people need variety. Some need a circular,  Hackzall, Sawzall, oscillating, etc something to saw or cut. I want to "Invest" in my power tools. People have told me that Makita has very good sets, but i have felt the power of red.

4 hours ago, jls1znv said:

Do you guys think i should hold out for after Christmas? Sale or other combo kits.

It's risky, but you can sometimes find holiday promos marked down after New Year's.  I picked up my two compact M18 brushless drills earlier this year for $60 each ($99 holiday buy), or less than the batteries themselves sell for; similarly, I got my first DeWalt kit for about $220 ($299 holiday buy, IIRC).

• 5 months later...