Feedback on mid-torque DCF894N-XJ

method

I picked up one of these and used it yesterday to take rubber track pads off the grousers on one of our excavators. The bolts were 21mm, damaged and rusted out from being exposed to the weather, mud etc, and had been on for almost 10 years now. I was surprised how easily it removed all of the bolts. It definitely got extremely hot (could not even touch the hammer or the socket) yet the motor and battery were cool to the touch. It was 36 degrees yesterday also. It's light weight and reasonably compact so anyone looking to buy I'd recommend it. It felt better than my old milwaukee 1/2 inch which I loved to use. Haven't used any newer milwaukee models to compare it with though, but for the price it did the job easily.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favourite Dewalt tools. Got the hog ring version; sold off my Fuel high torque and mid torque. The Dewalt has plenty of power, and the modes on it are perfect for my usage; larger fasteners and lugs, shocks, etc. on my truck. The bizarre looking nose cone helps get into odd spots, as does the angled battery placement compared to the Fuel. 

• Like 1

The one feature of the mid range impact that I disagree with is on both high and low settings reverse is still max speed and torque.  They already have the auto mode designed for taking off lug bolts/nuts.  I just don't know why when they can conceive the situation where I might not want to have full power in forward, why can't conceive the same scenario in reverse.  I know there is still a variable speed trigger but the same could be said about any situation so then why even have speeds.  Its just not true to say well any time I'm in reverse I want to have full torque and that is their engineers approach to it. There are plenty of situations where I'm removing a delicate bolt that the last thing I want to do is snap it off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

There are plenty of situations where I'm removing a delicate bolt that the last thing I want to do is snap it off. 

This seems really obvious I don’t even get much opportunity to use my impact wrench and have already come across this 

• 4 weeks later...

Thought it was interesting that the new dcf896 mid range "tool connect" model has the same max torque of 330ft/lbs but has an advertised break away torque of 600ft/lbs.  I'm sure the dcf894 has the same break away torque but they just never put a number on it.  Not that break away specs really add up to real world numbers, but it is probably why its comparable in real world to the m18 mid torque.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Is anyone having issues with socket retention(detent pin anvil) on the 894 as i can pull sockets off easily buy hand i have sent it to get repaired twice and come to find out its as good as it gets from dewalt repairs in penrose New Zealand

The detent pin is tapered as it comes out of the anvil (unlike the other pins on my dewalt wrenches) which enables the socket to depress the pin and come off any fixes as dewalt say you cant relace the detent pin ???