Looking to buy a 5 piece 20v combo set but not sure which brand

hammerhead

So I have been looking to get a 20v lithium 5 piece combo set, drill, impact driver, circular saw, sawzall and flashlight.  Been looking at dewalt pretty heavy since that is what we have now, standard 18volt set and had good luck with them for the most part.  Another reason for looking at dewalt is we have a 20v lithium dewalt grease gun, trying to keep from having different battery types.  Been looking at the dewalkt dck592l2 and the dck590l2 set.  It seems the dck592l2 set has upgraded tools but does cost a little more.  Wouldn't mind having a radio as well but can't seem to find a set that has that unless I look at bigger sets.  Radio is not really necessary.

Also looked at milwaukee sets but not as hard yet as I have heard good things about these too.  Are there any sets to stay away from?  That goes for any brand.  

These tools will not be used daily but will get used more than the average homeowner.  These will be used on a farm so they will see their fair share of use.  How big of a difference will I notice going from standard 18v to 20v lithium?  

Circular saw, sawzall, drill, impact driver and flashlight is all I really need.  All the other stuff like grinder, impact would be nice but not needed, plus those sets can get pretty expensive.  Looking to stay under $400.  

Is the dck592l2 set brushless?  What is the difference between brushless and brush sets?  

This comes in at $440. I have the impact and the hammer drill version of the drill. My circ saw is also 7.25". Love them.

Kit - drill, impact, sawzall, light. Use coupon code PICKUPSALE today ONLY to save 15%. Be sure it applies to this

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264083736272

Circ saw - 6.5"

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253856871300

Buying a 5ah battery will put you just over $400.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F113430314122

Total using coupon on kit is $377 without battery.

With battery its $440.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

First, if you are talking about the older 18 volt NiCd batteries and 20 volt lithium batteries, they are both 18 volts. They got cute and rated the lithium batteries at the peak value coming fresh off the charger. Run it a few seconds and you are down to 18 volts. Even the NiCd's are over 18 volts, fresh off the charger. This has been discussed to death. Some companies call their lithiums 18 (Milwaukee) and some call them 20 (DeWalt). They can squeeze a lot more capacity (run time) and higher current available by putting cells in parallel with lithium cells. That was never done with NiCds. Brushless motors use power more efficiently and have no brushes to wear out but but torque is torque. Compare torque specs to detirmine which drill is more powerful. For a light user brushless will not show a big advsntage. It is the new sales fad. It is like synthetic motor oil in a lightly used car that gets regular oil changesThere are also new 4 pole brushed motors that are great performers. If the drill is your #1 device, I would look at Makita. They have the best Japanese keyless chuck, as opposed to the Chinese stuff used by others. I don't know anything about their combo kits.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sorry didn't see that post before I posted.  

On that set, it says it comes with two 2.0ah batteries.  On the dck592l2 set, it comes with two 3.0ah batteries.  How big of a difference is that?  And what does XR mean?
The ah is the battery capacity or how much "juice" they have to use. Brushless can produce a larger output than brushed comparing motor size. As per old nicad and new lithium, the lithium provide the same power rating until discharged where nicad do not.

As to the XR I believe that is their brushless line or pro use but I'm not positive.

The 2ah last a while on the brushless tools. I'd get the 5ah if you plan on heavy use of the sawzall and circ.

Definetly get brushless if the tools will be used heavily and dirty.

2 hours ago, hammerhead said:

Ty for the info

What sets are brushless?

The way you can tell what DeWALT tools are brushless is the grip. They have a yellow section that says brushless. Since you already have tue 20v max grease gun I would go with DeWALT. 

I concur with the others here: go DeWalt.  I have a large number of their tools, to include their last and current generation compact and heavy duty brushless drills and impact drivers.  As stated above, the larger batteries are mostly nice to have with higher draw tools such as saws and grinders, while the compact batteries will serve more than adequately on drills and impact drivers.  

22 hours ago, Mycrossover said:

First, if you are talking about the older 18 volt NiCd batteries and 20 volt lithium batteries, they are both 18 volts. They got cute and rated the lithium batteries at the peak value coming fresh off the charger. Run it a few seconds and you are down to 18 volts. Even the NiCd's are over 18 volts, fresh off the charger. This has been discussed to death. Some companies call their lithiums 18 (Milwaukee) and some call them 20 (DeWalt). They can squeeze a lot more capacity (run time) and higher current available by putting cells in parallel with lithium cells. That was never done with NiCds. Brushless motors use power more efficiently and have no brushes to wear out but but torque is torque. Compare torque specs to detirmine which drill is more powerful. For a light user brushless will not show a big advsntage. It is the new sales fad. It is like synthetic motor oil in a lightly used car that gets regular oil changesThere are also new 4 pole brushed motors that are great performers. If the drill is your #1 device, I would look at Makita. They have the best Japanese keyless chuck, as opposed to the Chinese stuff used by others. I don't know anything about their combo kits.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I didn't realize that about the voltage and hate how companies do stuff like that.  

Guess I will have to decide if the brushless set is worth the extra cost for what I do with them.  Do like the sound of no brushes to wear out which I would guess the tool would last longer.  They will not get used daily but will be used often.  The drill and circ saw will be the most commonly used items.  

Also thought about getting a 20v adapter to use on my old 18v tools but the circ saw has an issue but also possible that the battery could be the issue as well, it's getting weak and doesn't hold a charge that long anymore.  

Thanks for all the help so far

Been looking at brushless dewalt sets and found one with a circ saw instead of a sawzall but it is quite a bit more expensive.  The set with the circ saw is DCK483D2 and is $489 where the set with the sawzall, DCK484D2 is $350.  Why is the first one so much higher?  These prices are from ebay and realize the price depends on the seller.  I found the DCK483D2 set on amazon for $359.

I do already have a 3.0ah 20v battery, not sure I would need the 5.0ah battery.  

doublearon98, would that code still be good or was that only good yesterday?  

4 hours ago, hammerhead said:

Been looking at brushless dewalt sets and found one with a circ saw instead of a sawzall but it is quite a bit more expensive.  The set with the circ saw is DCK483D2 and is $489 where the set with the sawzall, DCK484D2 is $350.  Why is the first one so much higher?  These prices are from ebay and realize the price depends on the seller.  I found the DCK483D2 set on amazon for $359.

the circular saw is a 7-1/4 inch diameter. It is not a compact saw. The recip is a compact recip. Compact tools generally have a lower price. I would avoid using 2 ah batteries in any circ saws especially the 7 inchers. Using one on a 6 incher is bad enough but a 7 incher is almost unusable. You might get half a dozen cuts at most with very little power. The 5 ah kit may be more expensive but it is a lot better option if you are planning to use circular saws. More work can get done with a 5ah due to having 5 extra cells at the tools disposal. I haven't found a brushless kit with the 5ah and circ saw but there is one with the 5ah and recip saw. It also includes an upgraded hammer drill. It is the DCD996 which has more power and a 3 speed gearbox.

53 minutes ago, Jronman said:

the circular saw is a 7-1/4 inch diameter. It is not a compact saw. The recip is a compact recip. Compact tools generally have a lower price. I would avoid using 2 ah batteries in any circ saws especially the 7 inchers. Using one on a 6 incher is bad enough but a 7 incher is almost unusable. You might get half a dozen cuts at most with very little power. The 5 ah kit may be more expensive but it is a lot better option if you are planning to use circular saws. More work can get done with a 5ah due to having 5 extra cells at the tools disposal. I haven't found a brushless kit with the 5ah and circ saw but there is one with the 5ah and recip saw. It also includes an upgraded hammer drill. It is the DCD996 which has more power and a 3 speed gearbox.

What set would that be?  In the current set I have, I do have the hammer drill but have not had to use the hammer part very often at all.  I could get by without having that unless it is built heavier than the regular version.

If I want to go with 5.0ah, would I be better buying a 5.0ah set or buying a 2.0ah set, turn around and sell the 2.0ah batteries and buy 5.0ah batteries?

1 hour ago, Jronman said:

Are compact saws built any less durable or reliable than non compact saws?  Besides the size difference, what are the differences between a compact and non compact saw?

While looking at sets, I thought about something.  Does any company have the option where you can put together the set you want?  I looked on dewalt but didn't notice anything like that.  

Are compact saws built any less durable or reliable than non compact saws?  Besides the size difference, what are the differences between a compact and non compact saw?

7.25" is right hand and the 6.5" is left hand. As far as durability, no

Heres a link for explanation. Also toolguyd.com is a great tool review website.

https://toolguyd.com/right-handed-vs-left-handed-circular-saws/

On 12/16/2018 at 5:24 PM, doublearon98 said:

7.25" is right hand and the 6.5" is left hand. As far as durability, no

Heres a link for explanation. Also toolguyd.com is a great tool review website.

https://toolguyd.com/right-handed-vs-left-handed-circular-saws/

Ok ty for the info.  Are the hammer drill versions built more heavy duty?

11 hours ago, hammerhead said:

Trying to decide if I want to get the hammer drill version.  It will rarely get used but at same time, if there comes a time I need to drill a few small holes in concrete, I would be able to.  But also looks like the sets with the hammer drill are more expensive.

You can still drill into concrete with a non hammer drill it does take longer but can be done.

You could always buy another drill with the hammer feature in the future it’s always nice to have more than one drill on some jobs but if you only want one drill I would say go for the hammer drill after the first couple of uses it will be worth the extra cash