refurbishing dcf886

jdfnnl

This impact driver has definitely seen a lot including being run over in a driveway and dropped more times than I can count from none too modest heights. With a quick scan of dcf886 on ebay I saw there is a replacement housing from Puerto Rico for less than $20. This would help because the battery does not slide nicely after it's encounter with that car. However, after doing some work in an area of colder temps (near freezing) the impact would abruptly stop until pumping the trigger only to stop again in no longer than a moment. I am trying to figure out if the mechanics of this tool are at the end of their life and if it makes more sense to buy a new dcf886. I haven't done any diagnosing other than being pretty sure noticing the condition applies to more than just one of my four batteries. Anyone know what could be causing this hiccup, if the electrical can be diagnosed or if the replacement of a certain other part would help?

IMG_2667.JPG

IMG_2668.JPG

Intermittent electical issues with these brushless tools can be annoying.  I've had some tools that will act up once for no apparent reason and never do it again.  But usually when they're well used once they start having intermittent issues they keep happening more often until they become pretty much unusable.  The one good thing about diagnosing brushless tools is that because all of the components are soldered and podded you can only buy a motor and switch assembly.  The assembly is one part that replaces the trigger, motor, and all the wiring.  The only problem is they usually cost in the neighborhood of $60-90 if you can find one on ebay and on ereplacement parts right now it's $117.  Which if the impact is already well used I would think you would be far better off starting off with a new impact.  New dcf887 are available on ebay for $80 or if you want a new in box there are a lot of holiday deals right now.