How to cut 1/8" Stainless Rod?

BarkityBark

I need to cut hundreds of pieces of 1/8" stainless steel rod into 10" sections the most cheaply and efficiently. I have tried using bolt cutters already, but the pinch cut is awful and requires a lot of grinding each piece to finish the ends flat. What should I buy? A chop saw, band saw, or??? Cutting several at a time would be optimal due to the numbers I need to make.

I've cut 3/8" threaded rod in bulk with a band saw, just by taping 10 rods together tightly at the measurements where I wanted the cuts. Then, just cut. If I wanted 10" pieces, I'd tape the rods together at 10", then cut the middle of the tape. I've done this several times and had great results. For my application I did have to chamfer the ends of the rod (for safety purposes) but it'll give you a clean, flat cut if that's all you need...

4 hours ago, BarkityBark said:

What kind of band saw blade will hold up to cutting stainless steel for long? I was told that I would be spending my money on new band saw blades if I tried that.

Don't know, was only a suggestion. I don't do a lot with stainless so in that regard I'm useless.

Sorry.

• 5 weeks later...

For cutting lots of pieces a metal cutoff saw does a decent job. A multi material saw (basically a metal cutoff saw with a tooth blade) also could be an option. I wonder if a bandsaw with metal blade would be a better option if you plan to tape multiples together and cut at once.

Speaking of stainless rod, how strong is the 1/8 inch stainless rod, and is it expensive? Looking at designing a drying rack that uses metal rods for placing casing, siding, etc. on to dry after paint/finish. Would 1/8 inch be strong enough for what I plan to dry on it or should I go with 1/4 inch? I don't plan on the rods spanning any more than 36 inches.

For cutting lots of pieces a metal cutoff saw does a decent job. A multi material saw (basically a metal cutoff saw with a tooth blade) also could be an option. I wonder if a bandsaw with metal blade would be a better option if you plan to tape multiples together and cut at once.

Speaking of stainless rod, how strong is the 1/8 inch stainless rod, and is it expensive? Looking at designing a drying rack that uses metal rods for placing casing, siding, etc. on to dry after paint/finish. Would 1/8 inch be strong enough for what I plan to dry on it or should I go with 1/4 inch? I don't plan on the rods spanning any more than 36 inches.
Don't know if this will be any help, but I made one, pretty basic but didn't have the time to make it how I wanted to at the time I needed it, but will use it for as long as it lasts before I make a new one.
I just screwed two 2x4s together then used 30" pieces of conduit. Drilled holes just slightly larger than the conduit in the 2x4s at a slight angle about 8 inches apart. Staggered the holes on each side of the 2x4s allowing me to drill 1 1/2" deep holes on each side. Made some folding legs for the base.
If I remember correctly there about 6' tall.
My use is for base and case and what have you.
I made 4 of them and place them 4' apart for 16' material.
I've just started to search online for different or new ideas for the next ones I build.
The ones described have lasted for probably about 30 houses of doing the interior trim on.
Hopefully some of that has helped, wasn't sure what exactly your needs were or how often you'd use them or your space considerations. Either way hopefully of some use.
Btw open to new ideas on my next set.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk