fm2176

Favorite Clamps?

What type and brands of clamps do you all prefer?  I picked up four more Bessey GSCC clamps this morning, 36" this time since I mostly have 6" and 12".  Those seem decent for the price, though I also like the Irwin and DeWalt trigger clamps.

I’m in the market for some long clamps for gluing so will be following this thread closely. From what I’ve read so far it’s a choice between parallel and sash clamps, and from what I read parallels can fail so sash it is?

I have a few short Stanley Bailey F clamps which seem to no longer be made which I quite like. Before that I tried a few quick release clamps of different manurfavtures that all seemed to fail under load.

The go-to clamps I use are these antique bar clamps. I also have the pipe clamps that are useful.

The features I like most on the bar clamps are: the large surface area, to avoid / prevent marring the surface; the locked-in orientation, so rotation between the ends is impossible and the HUGE amount of clamping force available.

The pipe clamps are flexible, just get a different length pipe. It has acceptable clamping force. There are small, circular pads, so I use scrap blocks when I need to avoid marring the surface.

This style clamp is available new from current sources.

The link shows my clamps.

http://forum.toolsinaction.com/topic/14371-wingless-hand-tools/?tab=comments#comment-200895

I’ve got some Bessey and a lot of Jet parallel clamps. Love both brands.

63FF905C-9A85-4E2A-B55E-1DB784D47204.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fm2176 said:

What type and brands of clamps do you all prefer?  I picked up four more Bessey GSCC clamps this morning, 36" this time since I mostly have 6" and 12".  Those seem decent for the price, though I also like the Irwin and DeWalt trigger clamps.

Also have several Dewalt extra large trigger clamps, various lengths. My favorite trigger clamps I’ve ever used. The faces are full depth so lots of contact points with project.

I have quite a few Jorgesson Parallel clamps, i love them, can't find them now but rumor is they're back in business, have quite a few bessey bar clamps too, if you can find the german made ones thats the way to go

Also just got two Bessey Kliklamps, first impression... not impressed but well see after they get some use

Id like to try out the Bessey Gear Clamps, those look pretty nice

On 1/7/2019 at 8:29 PM, JimboS1ice said:

I have quite a few Jorgesson Parallel clamps, i love them, can't find them now but rumor is they're back in business, have quite a few bessey bar clamps too, if you can find the german made ones thats the way to go

Also just got two Bessey Kliklamps, first impression... not impressed but well see after they get some use

Id like to try out the Bessey Gear Clamps, those look pretty nice

The Kliklamps are pretty weak INMO, I regret buying them. I should have just retuned them.

The Kliklamps are pretty weak INMO, I regret buying them. I should have just retuned them.

Yea got them the other day... first impression... shit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off, I hate Pipe clamps. Now with that said.

My favorite quick clamps are Stanley Fatmax xtreme, they are super strong. They stopped making them awhile ago, but come up on Ebay now and then 

IMG_6924.jpg

I like the old school clamps that don't slip. The green ones I bought used a while back, they have detents so you can crank on them and they won't slip.

IMG_6922.jpg

• Like 1

These Stanleys are nice, but again not available anymore. Clamps are so pricey these days, best to shop craigslist and ebay and buy lots of older clamps.

IMG_6923.jpg

11 hours ago, SetBuilder said:

These Stanleys are nice, but again not available anymore. Clamps are so pricey these days, best to shop craigslist and ebay and buy lots of older clamps.

IMG_6923.jpg

I have three if the smaller ones and was looking the other day to buy more and I noticed that had stopped making them. Boo. 

I forgot about these ones...
https://www.harborfreight.com/48-in-aluminum-bar-clamp-60540.html

Believe it or not, they ain’t too bad. I bought eight of them for a real sloppy glue up of some heavy legs and they did me justice. 

I’ll have to add them to my harbor freight approved list ha ha I’ll check them out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk