Dewalt Angle Grinder

ETAF

Hi, 

I'm thinking of getting a Dewalt Angle Grinder in the next few months

Its just for DIY use , sharpening garden tools , 21" lawnmower blade etc 

cutting bricks / paving slabes etc

I have a couple of 3Ah batteries and may have to buy a bigger battery to run the grinder

i have been looking at 

DEWALT DCG414B 

and

Dewalt DCG405FN, as it has a better angle range

not a priority for me right now - but on my list 

any other suggestions - I am invested in the dewalt cordless system - as i have 6 other cordless 18v tools 

planer, jig saw, circular saw, mutli-tool, combi drill, impact driver, 

I have the corded DW625 router , so thats not on a future list 

I also have STIHL tools for garden, so no intention of buying into dewalt chainsaw, strimmer , hedge trimmer etc 

thanks in advance for any suggestions

Welcome to the forum.

If a corded tool is an option, then the DWE4214 4½" small angle grinder that I use is a real workhorse that I have zero reservation recommending. 

Note that the DCG414B 4½" / 6" 9,000 rpm grinder is a 60V FLEXVOLT tool, so a complete kit would be required.

The DCG405FN 125mm grinder is a ROW tool that may be difficult to find in the US, but your 18V comment indicates that might not be an issue.

My kit includes all the available cutting, grinding and surface conditioning discs / wheels / guards for maximum flexibility on ferrous metal, aluminum, stainless, masonry, porcelain, ceramic, marble and granite. 

We use the DCG412.  One in each truck and they get used a few times a week.  On some jobs, it is one of the main tools.  It will do everything you want it to do.

It will run down a battery fairly quick.  Never been a problem.  2 batteries will cover it.

For straight grinding, it will get hot and shutdown after a while.  I think its actually the battery that shuts down.  Never been an issue.  We have corded ones, but they never get used anymore.  They aren't even in the truck and I would have to look around, at the shop, to find them.  

I would second pretty much everything builditguy said about the dcg412.  Corded models will be cheaper and more powerful especially for grinding but the convenience of being cordless out weighs that on our jobsites and the corded models collect dust on the shelf. We also have brushless models and while they will give you more runtime, they aren't really neccesary for diy.  The dcg414 is the closest to a corded grinder but overkill for what you need and it would require you to get flexvolt batteries.   

• 1 year later...

I purchased the DeWalt DCG405FN 18V XR Brushless 125mm Flathead Angle Grinder  in the end in Dec 2019

used a lot over the last year, BUT the 5A battery does not last long.

otherwise pleased with the unit

Now a little bit dewalt biased, as i have so much kit

• 1 year later...

Omg I feel so stupid. So I am a freshy woodworker just getting comfortable with power tools. I got this great looking wood shaping disk for my angle grinder. I finally had an excuse to use it I got it on there ... Turned it on.... it suddenly stopped! so I immediately stopped running it.... then after careful looking.... I realized ... Oh no!!!!; I put the top flange nut on wrong and now the teeth from the disc have dug into the top nut...... but to where unscrewing it would be to go against the teeth... It is so stuck I don't know what to do. Please help ... I am so embarrassed..... Wish I wasn't teaching myself how to do this stuff .... I wouldn't have made such a grave mistake. I have looked up tricks for stuck nuts in general which I have tried .... This is a special case of stuck. I'll take any suggestions I am all ears!!!! 

Welcome to the forum.

100% sure you are not alone in effing up something.

Why not post an image(s) showing the problem (saving a kiloword w/ each image) to permit others to help better.

Also, providing the model / mfg numbers for the tool and the disc will probably be useful.

• Like 1

Cordless grinders are generally useless if you want to cut metals for long time. I would recommend you to buy an additional corded grinder together with the cordless one. Recently I saw in B&Q a DeWALT cordless ginder for almost £50, 115mm one. I love that grinder. It has a special guard that you do not need to unscrew it if you need to reposition it.