Furnas magnetic switch wiring for drill press

case310350

• 4 weeks later...

I found this schematic on "vintagemachinery.org". It doesn't show terminal "B" like you are wanting to see. The FURNAS model # doesn't match the part in the list for MAGNETIC with low voltage control, but yours is probably made a little earlier model as in AJ71 vs BJ71. In any event, it is still 24 VAC on the secondary for low voltage control. The wires look like they have been replaced with newer ones at one time which is not a bad thing as long as it was wired correctly. I can't see all the detail in the picture, but you might be able to use this schematic to help you. You also need to make sure that you have the correct source power to match the way this machine is set up to run. As you can see in the schematic, the low voltage (24VAC) transformer is wired to L1 & L2. The primary is labeled 240/480 depending on how you strap it, you still get 24 VAC out. The 24 VAC (Hot) is then wired to one side of the stop switch which is normally closed which is electrically tied to one side of the normally open Start switch. The return off the 24VAC transformer X2 is wired to the current protection normally closed IOL contacts to the magnetic starter's coil. With power disconnected, you should be chase the wiring to see where 24VAC return goes to and where the 24VAC hot goes to validate that it is wired correctly. I notice too, that the wires have labels on them which if they match to the numbers on the magnetic starter, then it may be wired right. You also have a fuse on the secondary that can be blown. Make sure you terminals are tight and where they are crimped that the wire is in good shape, not black or corroded. I'm not sure what symptoms you have with it. The switch cover if removable, it may have a small schematic label on the inside. Hope this is some help or a start. 

42140800_Powermatic1150drillpresswiring.thumb.jpg.1ef7d9a98760565e22ad3ae0996bef80.jpg