Got my (Still Broken) DCS355 Back

Jronman

I took my DCS355 OMT to the service center near where I live to see what the problem was and if it would be worth fixing. I finally got it back. Turns out the bearing was shot and the gear housing also had some issues. They deemed it not worth fixing and I would agree. $200 to fix it or buy a brand new one for less than $200. I have decided against getting another DCS355 OMT. I am considering upgrading to the Festool Vecturo OSC 18. I already have the batteries and the fact it has Starlock Max is a huge bonus. It has some parts based off of the Fein Supercut which means it should be comparable in performance to the Supercut. I'm hoping Starlock will be a good as they say.

• 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Framer joe said:

No shit ? I have 3 and never had a problem.that sucks ...

had it around 2 years but at least I can justify a Starlock upgrade now. I did use a flex 2/6 on it most of the time and I also drained a fully charged flex in one session a couple times. It got the gear housing so hot it would probably burn your hand if you weren't careful.

you really think the starlock max is better? i always saw it as you need 2 hands to release the blade then it falls then you need to orientate it the way you want then reattach it,  seems like a pain compared to dewalts where you just grab the handle squeeze and turn the blade in the direction you want  

15 hours ago, rcarnes911 said:

you really think the starlock max is better? i always saw it as you need 2 hands to release the blade then it falls then you need to orientate it the way you want then reattach it,  seems like a pain compared to dewalts where you just grab the handle squeeze and turn the blade in the direction you want  

Yes I do think Starlock is not only better but the best system out there. I felt the SB&D system was one of the best before Starlock was a thing. With Starlock, at least with the Bosch, pull the lever halfway to rotate the blade.

Here are a few reasons I like Starlock. When replacing a hot blade you don't have to touch the blade. To insert a blade you snap it in. No lever or second hand required. The 3d profile on the blade connection point aids in helping properly align the blade when installing or rotating. 

I found in my experience the SB&D system can be a bit tricky/stubborn to use sometimes. The issues I have had with the SB&D clamp system seem to be resolved with Starlock. Also with Starlock Max you can use much more demanding blades.