I put a new chuck on my 2703 drill

Biggie

20190304_193458.thumb.jpg.9fc6cfd1f8d354a0bb4d838856defbe0.jpg

I hope to have better luck with the new style chuck.  This drill has been a money pit and I probably should have just taken the money I paid for the new chuck and bought another gen 3.  I personally have found that it's worth spending the extra money for the hammer drill(2704,2804) vs the drill drill/driver(2703,2803).  Even though I don't use the hammer function, the hammer drill comes with a chuck with carbide inserts and without them I wear out the chuck jaws.  So the replacement chuck I bought for my 2703 is the new 2804 chuck.  When you look these up on parts web sites they don't say they're compatible but they are.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 12:26 AM, BMack37 said:

Nice, I'm torn. I don't really use my 2704 very often because of the size and weight but when I use it the chuck sucks. So do I sell it and buy a Gen 3, smaller and more powerful or buy a chuck and upgrade a drill I don't use often.

I just bought a new 2804 to augment my 2704, and paid less than $95.00 bucks for the bare tool.  My 2704 chuck has been acting a bit wonky lately so I was concerned it might die on me in the middle of a job, so I opted to get the newer 2804.  I do like the revised chuck, and this Gen 3 drill does get hotter than the 2704 under repeated heavy loads but it is not hot enough to cause me any real concern. At least now if the chuck does die on my 2704 I can upgrade it to the 2804 style chuck, and still be able to work using my new 2804, at least that's the plan.

• Like 1

Yea it's always a hard decision when to fix and when to move on.  Dumb thing with my 2703 is its only 2 years old.  When it was 1 year old the rotor went bad.  I sent it into a service center instead of e-service and was denied, last time I'll do that.  Now it's 2 years old and I replaced the chuck.  Total it's only $60 I have into it but I've seen new 2804 for as low as $80 on ebay.  My thought process was that I have a 2703 and 2704 so between the two of them I figured I could get some use out a newer "better?" chuck.