Dewalt Atomic

Framer joe

I was excited when I first saw ToolGuyd's post, thinking that DeWalt was looking to seriously compete with Milwaukee's "next best thing" strategy, where Gen 1, Gen 2, and probably soon Gen 3 tools are replaced/supplemented by smaller and more powerful versions.  When I saw that the new Atomic tools are simply upgrades to non-premium level tools I was less than enthralled.  My 996, 887, and 796 perform better than I personally need them to, but it would have been nice to see DeWalt release superior tools under such a powerful sounding name as "Atomic".

I know its been said before but power on impact drivers has gotten a bit carried away.  Top speed on the premium impact drivers has almost become too much for a person driving 2-3" construction screws.  A lot of it, myself included, comes down to ego and thinking you need the fastest most powerful tool and most of the time that's not really the case.  The biggest problem for me is not that its not as powerful but its also still not as compact as Makita and MIlwaukee.  I find myself working in tight places all the time and I know there are places the 887 wouldn't fit that I can get the m18 gen 3 into.  Then again I think these are designed to compete with the makita sub compact line and compared to those they arent bad.   Maybe the next dewalt premium impact driver will see some downsizing.

the new atomic line is not so atomic. The new impact is supposedly bigger and heavier than the 887. 

Yea I haven’t seen a single size comparison, I’d like to see how the drill stacks in size with the Mak subcompact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/10/2019 at 7:38 PM, Framer joe said:

There’s a good article on “toolguyd” about atomic tools. ..about the only one I see that looks good is the hacksall ( Milwaukee clone) ...the specs suck for the atomic tools ,so does the size....

Anything different/better about the "new" omt vs the old one. It looks nearly identical.

On 4/10/2019 at 7:38 PM, Framer joe said:

about the only one I see that looks good is the hacksall ( Milwaukee clone) ...

I really prefer the hackzall style recip. saw.  It really shines for one handed use.  You can hold the piece you're cutting and still control the saw with your other.  We have the current dewalt compact and even though it's virtually the same size as the hackzall, the handle configuration still doesn't allow for very good one handed operation.

• Like 2

There’s a good article on “toolguyd” about atomic tools. ..about the only one I see that looks good is the hacksall ( Milwaukee clone) ...the specs suck for the atomic tools ,so does the size....

Yea I was taken aback when I dig into the line a little more, typical big company marketing. The impact isn’t even that small... but will the tools be available at other retailers I’ve heard that it’s allegedly exclusive to HD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

“...typical big company marketing.”

One of those YouTube things pointed out they aren’t indicating “made in the USA with global materials” on these and have just resigned to manufacturing these overseas. I wonder if the attempt to do even that little amount of assembly domestically on previous products is costing them more than they’re letting on and they’re going to be using products like these to recoup their losses. They know most of their regular clientele will buy them regardless. Which technically is fine...the drill sounds like it’s actually pretty good for its compactness, the impact may be kinda meh but if it gets the job done...