Dewalt 735X planer

King DORK

Have one of these on the way that my wife surprised me with. Been picking up equipment for a small home workshop (planer, jointer, bandsaw, belt/spindle sander, etc) and this is the planer that I really wanted after reading more reviews and watching more videos than I can remember. How are y'all's experiences with this planer?

It is loud but that is expected from a straight knife bench top planer. I would recommend getting a helical head kit for the 735x as soon as you can. It  cuts down on noise, improves blade life, and provides a better quality cut.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, I  knew that my wife was "surprising " me with this planer. When I picked it up I was pleasantly surprised. Not only did it come with the in feed and out feed tables but also included the Dewalt mobile stand as a bonus. I would've built a stand but definitely will not complain. Got it together. Can't wait to get some projects going at home. Unfortunately the orthopedic surgeon is making a project of me. Lol. Torn labrum & rotator cuff surgery this past Tuesday has me sidelined for approximately 6 months. Then I turn right back around and have the other operated on. When it rains it pours. All good things to those who wait I guess........

It is loud but that is expected from a straight knife bench top planer. I would recommend getting a helical head kit for the 735x as soon as you can. It  cuts down on noise, improves blade life, and provides a better quality cut.
What you say is true. Would you say that the cost of converting a new 735x would be better spent on buying a helical head planer in the first place?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Mycrossover said:

What you say is true. Would you say that the cost of converting a new 735x would be better spent on buying a helical head planer in the first place?

A unit that already comes with helical head is probably a dedicated floor unit with larger capacity and better build quality. You are probably looking at over $2000 for one with a helical head vs the cost of the DeWALT plus the cost of Shellix

On 5/28/2019 at 1:31 PM, King DORK said:

The Shelix was already on my radar before getting the planer. Quite an impressive setup! 

Personally I would save and get a dedicated floor unit planer but that is just my preference.

A unit that already comes with helical head is probably a dedicated floor unit with larger capacity and better build quality. You are probably looking at over $2000 for one with a helical head vs the cost of the DeWALT plus the cost of Shellix
Not at all. Look at Cutech. They just sell portable planers and jointers. Almost all imports come from the same plant.That plant made the Steel city and the older, better Ridgid. There are basically 3 tiers of quality. Cutech imports them all and supplies parts for other brands that came from the same place. Their top model is in the $600- $700 range. You can get it with steel or carbide cutters on a spiral drum. You can get a lesser model with a spiral multi bit head, as well. The reviews are good and I think they are in Amazon as well as direct.. Why buy something to convert for the same money as one that has it all? I forget if the plant is in China or Taiwan.