Makita allegedly to release 12” sliding miter saw

ToolBane

That's a useless tool in cordless format.

A 10" saw is not meant to be portable. When you buy a 10" saw you put it in a place and don't move it for decades.

So making one cordless is irrational.

They are sacrificing power, weight and size for what benefit? None...

3 hours ago, kat said:

A 10" saw is not meant to be portable. When you buy a 10" saw you put it in a place and don't move it for decades.

I move my 10” cordless saw all the time both in my shop and out in the field. Most recently using it on a deck build out of my truck. I’m not sure I need a 12” but my 10” cordless is designed to be very portable. It fits nicely in my 4Runner and also on a portable shop bench. I imaging if I was framing homes having a cordless 12” would be pretty sweet but alas that’s not what I ever plan on doing 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kat said:

Batteries *can* actually be more powerful than corded. First off, a power cord carries resistance the significance of which increases the more powerful the tool is and the longer the cord is. Second, DC current as a battery provides is always running a constant voltage while AC swings back and forth from positive to negative, passing through 0 voltage 120 times per second. To make the same power with AC requires the same RMS “area under the curve” which depending on how they do things typically would require feeding bigger peak voltages into the motor the current of which they can’t necessarily handle. Sorry, that’s probably a mouthful.

I move my miter and table saws (both 10”) all the time because as a hobbyist I don’t (yet) have a permanent spot for them and I can’t stand toiling with where to place and angle them in relationship to outlets, having to move my cars around etc. I can’t wait to simply be able to drop my miter where I like and leave the battery charger at the outlet however many feet away. My table saw being corded I’ll have to devise a dedicated solution to in the long-term.

Still I imagine for many people having the option to run a cord would be a good idea even if I don’t strongly care for it. It’s one good feature about the Dewalt 120V Flexvolt miter that Makita might want to consider going with.

I also have the cordless 10” Makita, I run it in my shop which means one less thing I have to plug in. I use a full Kerf 89T blade in it and still have plenty of runtime and even power. Last week I was cutting 10” x 6/4 oak no problem what so ever.

I don’t understand a miter saw not needing to be portable. Mitersaws are paramount on just about every job site and how many times have you gone to a sight that has limited to no power supply?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/5/2019 at 1:38 AM, kat said:

They are sacrificing power, weight and size for what benefit?

The flexvolt cordless miter is more powerful with batteries than it is with the corded adapter. I don't think it is sacrificing power one bit. The size and weight are a bit much in my opinion but when you base the saw off the DWS780 it is going to be big and heavy. Nearly 60 pounds or more and takes up a ton of space. 

On 4/5/2019 at 12:38 AM, kat said:

Is this an ironic joke post or are you serious? You’ve never ran a mitre on a site? You’ve never dealt with cords on a site? You’ve seen people work on one site for decades? You believe cordless tools don’t have more power than corded at this point? Your post is irrational. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bremon said:

Is this an ironic joke post or are you serious? You’ve never ran a mitre on a site? You’ve never dealt with cords on a site? You’ve seen people work on one site for decades? You believe cordless tools don’t have more power than corded at this point? Your post is irrational. 

I guess all the miter stands on wheels are pretty pointless as well

• Like 2

Kat, nice joke. Framers and remodelers carry mitresaws to and from job sites everyday. Cordless is king. Power is nonexistent or limited on new construction sites and antiquated on older remodel jobs. Subcontractors fight for power on sites. That’s why cordless everything is a huge benefit., hope this helps.

....I have the Makita 10”, it’s nice. A bit heavy. Don’t know about pushing a 12” blade at (x2) ,but probably better then Milwaukee 18v..which does bog down.

• 1 month later...

I must admit to getting somewhat annoyed carrying my 12" dewalt drop saw (as they are often known here) to jobs. I'm getting older and weaker and because all my cordless tools are Makita I was looking at the Makita 10" cordless dropsaw.

One immediate concern with the 12" is the runtime given the bigger blade. Another is just how accurate the thin kerf blade is going to be when doing bevelled mitre cuts. It's one thing I really like about my 12" Dewalt - there is zero blade wandering. How a thin kerf blade won't go its merry way on long bevelled cuts beats me.

Also, why oh why do the batteries have to be so expensive here!

1 hour ago, KiwiBro said:

...How a thin kerf blade won't go its merry way on long bevelled cuts beats me.

Also, why oh why do the batteries have to be so expensive here!

Where is “here” for you? Makita batteries do tend to be a bit of a premium compared to competitors in the US, but it’s not too ridiculous in my opinion if you catch the intermittent (and somewhat predictable) sales. Is it even worse elsewhere?

Also, as far as the thin kerf blade is concerned, we’re talking about a miter saw on rails, not a circular saw you’re free-handing down the length of a 4x8. If that somehow manages to still be a problem, just get another blade. I’m going to be doing that right out of the gate anyway because so many of my cuts are into assorted plastics.

Here is indeed New Zealand. We seem to get royally ripped on most powertools compared to overseas but it seems that's especially so when it comes to Makita batteries. On a few occasions I can find a bare tool roughly the same prices as overseas, but not often.

My concerns about the thin kerf 12" blades isn't when ripping a board as we'd do with a table/track saw, but making bevelled mitre cuts on thick or dense timbers (as many of our native timbers are) that might be 8" or more wide. I'd be very keen to start seeing a few more reviews of the 12" cordless model after people have spent some time with them. People seem to like the 10" model.

14 minutes ago, KiwiBro said:

Here is indeed New Zealand

Sorry to hear they bludgeon you so hard on batteries.

Oh and to what you were talking about with the weight of the Dewalt 12” already being a lot...

This Makita is being listed at 70lbs (32kg) with batteries, not much different from that Dewalt. Even the 10” is supposedly like 60lbs (27kg). The 7.5” (190mm) is only 29lbs (13kg) though.

On 5/20/2019 at 8:28 AM, KiwiBro said:

My concerns about the thin kerf 12" blades isn't when ripping a board as we'd do with a table/track saw, but making bevelled mitre cuts on thick or dense timbers (as many of our native timbers are) that might be 8" or more wide. I'd be very keen to start seeing a few more reviews of the 12" cordless model after people have spent some time with them. People seem to like the 10" model.

As ToolBane suggested, use another saw blade. I don't know where you shop but you have a lot of options at Mitre10, Bunnings or Placemakers for both 260 & 305mm "full" kerf blades.

It would be interesting to read of any comparisons in battery life between regular and thin kerf blades. I mean, if it's bugger-all difference why go with the more speciality thin kerf to begin with? Has anyone here used the new 12" cordless model and if so, how'd they go with bevel cuts on wide-ish boards? Although the weight of the 12" is beyond me anyway, it'll still be great to learn how well the 12" thin kerf blades do.

Was just on the Bunnings website today looking at the dewalt table saws. Kinda crazy how I can walk in off the street and get the saw cheaper there than trade at another place. And even that cheaper price is approx' 40% than the same saw ex USA! Well, not quite the same - different armature and field but nothing that's contributing to the higher price. We get ripped down here.

44 minutes ago, KiwiBro said:

Has anyone here used the new 12" cordless model and if so, how'd they go with bevel cuts on wide-ish boards? Although the weight of the 12" is beyond me anyway, it'll still be great to learn how well the 12" thin kerf blades do.

I played around with the 305mm 36v mitre saw that was fitted with a thin Efficut blade at Makita's Roadshow. Pink SG8 290mm x 45mm was the cutting sample. It handled a combined mitre & bevel cut smoothly without bogging down. No deflection and straight cut. I was really impressed. However, you have to remember it was a nice dry timber. Weight wise, both models are heavy as. The new 305mm model comes with sturdier support bars.

10 hours ago, KiwiBro said:

It would be interesting to read of any comparisons in battery life between regular and thin kerf blades. I mean, if it's bugger-all difference why go with the more speciality thin kerf to begin with? Has anyone here used the new 12" cordless model and if so, how'd they go with bevel cuts on wide-ish boards? Although the weight of the 12" is beyond me anyway, it'll still be great to learn how well the 12" thin kerf blades do.

I’m tempted to think the Makita ads are claiming about 30-40% longer run time with the thin kerfs compared to their more standard blades. And sure they’re their own ads but Makita’s ads tend to be a bit more responsible than those of some other manufacturers.

30-40% may matter a lot for jobsites, but to be perfectly honest the runtime of these Makita miters with a pair of 5Ah batteries even with ordinary blades is crazy long for my personal utilities. Mitering even for “large” projects for me would be unlikely to consume more than a charge cycle or two on regular Diablo blades, divided over several days, with the batteries swapped between several other tools in the interim.

On 4/5/2019 at 1:29 AM, ToolBane said:

Someone came across this and posted in regards to Makita also now releasing high efficiency miter saw blades in both 10” and 12”

8AF31A58-1C80-45C2-9F7B-09F657A37371.jpeg

The a4 makita flyer with their range of tools that comes in makita boxes, well a picture of the x2 12” mitre has been there since around August 2018

• 7 months later...

Yesterday I unpacked my Christmas gift 😀 and here it is, Makita DLS211 (XSL08 in USA):

?width=1920&height=922&mid=7132&aid=4&uid=66084605&default=%2Fstatic%2Fwm%2Fimg%2Fdefault-image.svg

Saw was *nearly* precisely adjusted from factory, but it could be better, so I spent two hours with adjusting. First I realized that rails are slightly misaligned. After three trial and error atempts and 10 mins it was OK. Next was bevel angle, 0.2° off, moment to fix. Mitre was nearly perfect, but 5cut methods showed some error. I spend long 90 mins finding exact square angle, until 5cut method showed zero error. Now I think saw is very accurate.

What i like: accuracy (now after tweaking), power, runtime, smoothness of every movement.  Bundled 60teeth Efficut Makita blade is very nice, I'm impressed. Non-sliding fences are OK for me. Laser is what I don't like too much. And yes, she is heavy! 😃 I have to buy wheeled saw stand...

Overall I'm very satisfied.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I just got an XSL07 last month with the free stand.

Out of the box, I put a thicker 1/8" kerf 12" finish blade on my XSL07 and had to adjust the squareness.  The cuts are so smooth, it is unbelievable.  I also sold my corded DeWalt 12" sliding saw and the stand to someone local for $400!  After a few adjustments, I am able to make accurate cuts within 1/1000th of an inch.

There is also very little flex in the head.  Plus having multiple motor poles really does lower vibration (in a similar way to 3 phase motors are much smoother than single phase).  It has to be the top sliding miter box right now.  Plus I made money selling the DeWalt saw as I bought it during the recession and it came with a free stand too.

Can't say I'd pay retail for it unless I was using it to make a living, but Black Friday pricing and the free stand made for an outstanding deal.

• Like 1