Screw / bolt extractor...

fabricgator

Does any manufacturer make a screw / bolt extractor that is worth a hoot?

Your suggestions and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

I am working on an outboard motor trying to extract ss bolts and screws from cast aluminum. I am in Florida, and these are subjected to sea water, so it is not looking good. Things get substantially worse when a hardened tool steel extractor breaks off in the drilled 'stuck' bolt. 

PB Blaster penetrant oil, heat, patients, persistence, more PB and more patients...

Welcome to the forum.

That activity is going to be difficult.

A drill press may assist the effort, to have the drill to part angle and position maintained better.

This link shows my Irwin 11119 extractor w/ Cobalt reverse twist bits. These have been used several times with great results.

I don't have any hesitation recommending this kit.

http://forum.toolsinaction.com/topic/14363-wingless-accessories/?tab=comments#comment-200814

Keep the replacement parts greased to prevent seizure.

3 hours ago, wingless said:

Welcome to the forum.

That activity is going to be difficult.

A drill press may assist the effort, to have the drill to part angle and position maintained better.

This link shows my Irwin 11119 extractor w/ Cobalt reverse twist bits. These have been used several times with great results.

I don't have any hesitation recommending this kit.

http://forum.toolsinaction.com/topic/14363-wingless-accessories/?tab=comments#comment-200814

Keep the replacement parts greased to prevent seizure.

Yes, There is a product called TefGel that is the answer to where antiseize lacks when it comes to SS in Aluminum. 

I think that it is an Irwin extractor that I have broken in one of my bolts. It was a set that i had for a while and perhaps i had stressed it in another application, but I was surprised it gave way so easily.

Wow, you sure did make a nice collection of reliable tools and kits for this community in your link. 

I am confident I am going to like this place.... 

Does any manufacturer make a screw / bolt extractor that is worth a hoot?

Your suggestions and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

I am working on an outboard motor trying to extract ss bolts and screws from cast aluminum. I am in Florida, and these are subjected to sea water, so it is not looking good. Things get substantially worse when a hardened tool steel extractor breaks off in the drilled 'stuck' bolt. 

PB Blaster penetrant oil, heat, patients, persistence, more PB and more patients...
After owning a sailboat that lived in salt water I can tell you that stainless fasteners in aluminum are as good as welded. Go get the drill. As to other situations, Alden Grabit extractors work very well. They even drill their own starter hole, that only needs to be a dimple. For me, they worked much better than the more common style extractors that need a much deeper hole.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk