“Concert”-style woofers

ToolBane

I finished these up pretty recently. Can’t tell exactly how good they are yet as it’s hard to find a place to properly test them at full volume. It was a fun project but ended up a lot more complicated than I originally intended it to be.

8D0A7198-3FEA-4D8C-B001-306A7F9F4981.jpeg

7AEB31EE-5DAE-4AA4-9957-99B29C3667B1.jpeg

C9CD60DC-19EE-4F67-A8B1-01C060E54010.jpeg

21227F04-B6BD-4AA7-863B-BB3CDC54A324.jpeg

• Like 2

Bass is all about sound pressure. Ideally you'd want to compression load those drivers, like have them down fire, or corner load them.
Firing up will leave them sounding flat.
The porting seems quite large too, that will also dampen the Bass.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, HiltiWpg said:

Bass is all about sound pressure. Ideally you'd want to compression load those drivers, like have them down fire, or corner load them.
Firing up will leave them sounding flat.
The porting seems quite large too, that will also dampen the Bass.

Unfortunately corner loading won’t be feasible due to what they’re being mounted on. Once installed (behind the cheeks of this bunny’s face on this art car), the woofers will fire out while the ports will be aimed toward the ground. Having to fit under the cheeks is what necessitates the unusual shape of the enclosures. The fact that the vehicle is much smaller in every dimension compared to the wavelength of the frequencies we want to emphasize makes this a difficult technical challenge. The downward firing of the ports hopefully will provide a modicum of bass reinforcement but it probably won’t be much. The size of them is necessitated by the large air volume they have to move. I wish I could have made them bigger, if anything.

990B4B41-C9FD-4E54-ABC7-C09E069EB745.jpeg

Unfortunately corner loading won’t be feasible due to what they’re being mounted on. Once installed (behind the cheeks of this bunny’s face on this art car), the woofers will fire out while the ports will be aimed toward the ground. Having to fit under the cheeks is what necessitates the unusual shape of the enclosures. The fact that the vehicle is much smaller in every dimension compared to the wavelength of the frequencies we want to emphasize makes this a difficult technical challenge. The downward firing of the ports hopefully will provide a modicum of bass reinforcement but it probably won’t be much. The size of them is necessitated by the large air volume they have to move. I wish I could have made them bigger, if anything.
990B4B41-C9FD-4E54-ABC7-C09E069EB745.thumb.jpeg.c3c59853ee3029ba95da09f09ab11fe9.jpeg
Gotcha, a bandpass style enclosure could help.

2 hours ago, HiltiWpg said:

Gotcha, a bandpass style enclosure could help.

I would have LOVED to be able to do a band-pass but there wasn’t enough volume to make it work. It was a tight enough fit as it was, I went over the top trying to squeeze extra volume in anywhere I could just to get the enclosure to reach down to 40Hz.