LXT batteries don't fit LXT jig saw

noah katz

I bought a DJV180Z jig saw on ebay.

I gathered, perhaps incorrectly, that it's the Canadian model # for the XVJ02Z but is otherwise the same; it's made in UK in case that matters. 

I was surprised that my LXT batteries wouldn't slide in all of the way, and also saw that the saw doesn't have the smaller contact terminal between the two outer ones.

I checked my 8 other tools and they all have the smaller contact except for the DML801 light.

The pic shows one of my other tools on the left and the saw on the right.

I filed down the molded-in square peg next to the nail point, and my batteries now slide in, and the saw works.

I seem to remember reading years ago that some of the tools and/or batteries have smart features.

Am I endangering either the tool or the batteries by this mix & match?

IMG_20190606_162610.jpg

Old lxt tools didn't have protection circuitry built in I believe, so they could not handle higher ah batteries.

If the tool does not have the star, or the terminal connection part is yellow as seen on the other tool not all batteries will work.

I believe only 3ah batteries will fit on these older tools.

If you are now using other batteries on these tools I think you just need to be careful not to over discharge them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Old lxt tools didn't have protection circuitry built in I believe, so they could not handle higher ah batteries.

If the tool does not have the star, or the terminal connection part is yellow as seen on the other tool not all batteries will work.

If you are now using other batteries on these tools I think you just need to be careful not to over discharge them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dev said:

All of my batteries (1.5, 3, and 4 A-h) fit on the saw.

It's only with the jig saw that I have to worry about over-discharging - right?

• Like 1