Makita XDT12Z which I love, but need alternative.

novice121

Dumb question here. I have been using the Makita XDT12Z very happily for the past 2 years in the field as a framer, and other than some shafts getting stuck sometimes it's been very durable.

I wish to buy another one for a just in case situation, but am wondering if there is a similar model without the Torque option that would sell cheaper, and be of the same quality?

Basically the XDT14Z model?

I’m not sure if by “torque option” you mean variable speed, but if so their basic brushless has almost the same torque (1500vs1550) for cheap, especially as of this moment in this combo kit:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-Volt-LXT-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-Impact-Driver-Kit-with-1-Battery-3-0Ah-XDT131/301444914

I have both and am equally happy with either one.  The assist mode on the XDT12 is nice in some circumstances, but I rarely remember to use it unless I'm putting lots of screws into something that's difficult to get an initial bite into.  The only other difference really is the XDT12 has 4 speeds vs 3 in the XDT14, but the extra speed option is towards the upper rpm/ipm range and that distinction hasn't been very useful to me. I think they are identical size/weight. The sub-compact (XDT15) is another great impact, but I don't think I'd rely on it as my go-to framing impact in a professional setting.

Honestly, I haven't seen the XDT12 for sale much lately and on Amazon and ToolNut it is more expensive than the even fancier new XDT16.