i'm all dewalt, but milwaukee is stepping up their game.

framer

If I wasn't very deep and very happy in the Ridgid 18v platform I'd be in the Milwaukee line. My co-contractor buddy is a Milwaukee guy. Tell you what, the Milwaukee cordless table saw is REALLY impressive. I am into the Milwaukee 12v line though and I can't wait to get my hands on the new 12v Surge impact driver. A lot of great stuff coming out by all the manufacturers as of late. Great time to be a tool nut. Speaking of Dewalt, I put Dewalt's new cordless mud mixer in my hand today while at Home Depot. Man what a beast that thing is!

SBD has been innovating, except they put all their effort into the Craftsman line. Granted it's mostly rebranding like making T-staks in red instead of yellow. Hopefully they will get back to business as usual once the majority of the launch is over.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, paulengr said:

SBD has been innovating, except they put all their effort into the Craftsman line. Granted it's mostly rebranding like making T-staks in red instead of yellow. Hopefully they will get back to business as usual once the majority of the launch is over.

yeah, i wish SBD would quit wasting resources on craftsman.  not sure who they're trying to appeal that brand to.  pros wont buy it.

I seem to be more interested in m12 as of late. I got the stapler and coat awhile back but recently got the 3/8 stubby and that new installation driver looks like something I will get. Might even try out the m12 surge. I wish DeWALT would bring back their version of NPS but seems unlikely with Craftsman around. DeWALT has been slower than normal the last couple years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jronman said:

I seem to be more interested in m12 as of late. I got the stapler and coat awhile back but recently got the 3/8 stubby and that new installation driver looks like something I will get. Might even try out the m12 surge. I wish DeWALT would bring back their version of NPS but seems unlikely with Craftsman around. DeWALT has been slower than normal the last couple years.

SBD is building a new plant in the DFW area, I suspect once they get the Craftsman line launched, and the new plant opens, that we might see some more resources go to Dewalt.

I am with you, SBD seems to have noticeably slowed down their innovation of new tools for Dewalt over the last year or so.  It even seems like they are running a LOT fewer specials on Home Depot and Lowes.  Outside of the basic intro 2/5/7/9 piece tool combos along with the "atomic" intro.

Kinda disappointed to be honest.

I have been introducing more red into my shop but not because I am disappointed with yellow, just that Milwaukee has some specialty tools that I really want and their quality has picked up from where it used to be. I’ve got the transfer pump and it is honestly my most used Milwaukee tool hands down with the new chainsaw coming in a close second. 

Milwaukee needs to get the bugs out of their forward / Rev switch with on their 18v impact. My one key which gets very little use has been sent back once, and my Surge will be going back for its 3rd repair. Oddly I have never had any issues with my 1st gen 18v impact

yeah, i wish SBD would quit wasting resources on craftsman.  not sure who they're trying to appeal that brand to.  pros wont buy it.
Basics like impact sockets are OK.

It's positioning. At one time Craftsman was a premium brand at a midrange price. Sears converted it into a cheap house brand. SBD has several brands (Stanley, Black and Decker, Craftsman, Dewalt, Porter Cable, etc., etc.). They've always kind of positioned things like a good/better/best with Dewalt as premium. People seem to want the old Craftsman discount premium line but the problem with this is that it cannabalizes Dewalt sales if you can buy the Dewalt in red instead of yellow. And they paid good money for the name so by definition it has to be marketed as a midrange brand. That being said why buy Craftsman if you can afford Dewalt and you're on your tools every day. If you're a homeowner though and you want something better than HF grade at a reasonable step up price that's the sweet spot for Craftsman. It's not intended to capture pros unless they're hard up for money to spend on tools or buying something one time use.