Combo 18/12V fast charger appears to be coming state-side

ToolBane

It doesn’t. In the product description it explicitly states it only charges sequentially. But that’s perfectly fine in my book, as I seldom need to charge more than one battery at a time anyway.

The primary boon to me is fewer outlets and less work space taken up with chargers and tangled wire.

Also, it’s rapid charging for both platforms is particularly relevant for CXT. While Makita’s default LXT charger is quick, their default CXT charger is annoyingly slow. They have a quick charger available but it’s never included in any kits; you can only buy it separately. Purchasing this particular charger on the other hand is killing two birds with one stone.

4 hours ago, kat said:

wtf.. on the current (old) charger it's written 7.2-18V. I didn't try 12V, but isn't it suppose to charge 12V as well if the range is from 7 to 18 ??

The electronics may be smart enough to charge anything spanning that voltage range, but the physical interface isn’t there to do anything with it. Perhaps Makita could have made things even easier for everyone and just made a $20 attachment, but they didn’t. Such would probably introduce other issues like cooling vs venting during charging and such.

ah so it doesn't fit the plugy thing.

i don't understand why they do this. just to rip off some people that have both 12v and 18v tools?

does that money worth the hassle of manufacturing 20 different chargers ? that means less r.d. and q.a. per charger. more but worse products instead of one but good.

• Like 1

Actually if I have this right, it was because the (now essentially defunct) 14.4V tool batteries could also be charged on that charger. Presumably their thinking was to keep things open to the possibility that more platforms would all use the same charger. So it’s basically a legacy feature that’s ended up largely unused.

• 2 months later...