Milwaukee m18 trigger issues

Robrob

Anyone having premature problems with variable speed triggers on their Milwaukee cordless tools? My bosses was unfortunately dropped in a puddle, his local supplier wanted to charge a fortune to fix the problem, it's on a 3/4 impact gun, a new one is only $20 more. I take good care of my own tools and am starting to have the same issue. The unit starts to jitter and randomly change its speed then eventually stops working all together. He paid the extra $20 for a new one and it's already showing signs of trouble after around 3 months. I tore the first one apart and bypassed the variable resistor as I could not figure out how to fix where the wipers had worn through it, there is only full speed now though. My question  is, is this due to various kinds of misuse or are there others of you who take good care of their tools finding this ussue also?

IMG_5479.thumb.jpg.4885cacedddb574f7b3213365def3393.jpg

IMG_5480.thumb.jpg.9da9a142a8166a9744e875352683476c.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have not had the problems you have described but both of my M18 guns that were rebuilt under warranty had the triggers replaced. One of them I did send in for a trigger that randomly wouldnt work, smack the tool then it would work, but both guns got new triggers along with other parts, I would assume milwaukee knows theres a problem and replaces the triggers when they get guns in so we dont complain about it later, kindof like a car recall.

• 1 year later...

So my Milwaukee impact was dropped and now it doesn’t work at all. I disassembled it and cleaned it up and it worked for a little bit but now I get nothing. The light turns on when I first connect the battery but it doesn’t when I pull on the trigger. I’ve done a continuity test and I have power going every where. Could it be the trigger? Any ideas on figuring this out without paying someone. 

• 5 months later...
On 12/29/2020 at 8:51 AM, Jgilbert said:

So my Milwaukee impact was dropped and now it doesn’t work at all. I disassembled it and cleaned it up and it worked for a little bit but now I get nothing. The light turns on when I first connect the battery but it doesn’t when I pull on the trigger. I’ve done a continuity test and I have power going every where. Could it be the trigger? Any ideas on figuring this out without paying someone. 

So for this...I had the same issue with my 2407. Dropped and no worky.  Lights come on but no one home.  Took apart and the jumped the battery directly to the back of the motor...still nothing. So I figured I had blown the motor.  I pulled it off (just a quick turn and it separated) and figured I would look up how much a new motor was...and as you do...I just turned over the motor from the gear side...kinda like a fidget thing...then for some reason tried the power to the rear contacts again from the battery...and the motor spun!  I put it all back together and it works! 

• Like 1

My 2763 impact had a faulty trigger straight out of the box.  I sent it in for repair a few years ago and it's worked fine since, but I think that Milwaukee may have had a run of faulty triggers with some of their impact tools.