Milwaukee fuel 18 volt tools, beware

Greg Gonzo

When purchasing 18 volt fuel tools, always buy 2 of the same tool. This way you might have a working tool while the other is in for repair. I have 4 screw guns, sawzal and skill saw. All the screw guns have the same issue trigger, sawzal has trigger issues. The skill saw works fine it has no run time. I use these tools professionally and dont have time to send tools in that only work for a short time. These are over priced JUNK!!!

Time to find a tool that actually works, any suggestions? 

• Confused 1

The wet/dry vac cannot get rained on (yeah, oxymoron). Milwaukee keyless chucks fail a lot but getting the same brand as used on Dewalt fixes the issue. Other than that normal tool abuse is the biggest way to have one fail. At around $100 a piece for the most popular tools and close to $50 for the repair shop if there is one nearby plus time dealing with it, is repair a viable option. I can understand with say a $2500 tool but not the typical power hand tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, reddawg60 said:

Yea not heard very many good reviews of the gen 1 18g nailer either. So Don would you say it's a no brainer on the gen 2 nailer then?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Yes

I was at a job yesterday where another contractor was using the DeWalt cordless brad gun.  It sounded like it had to wind up each time he pulled the trigger, and there was a delay between pulling the trigger and firing.

I’m guessing this is what they call ramp up time)

I thought it kinda sounded like a toy.

It does have to ramp up. The finish nailer would be a little slower, I have used the framing nailer and you can hold the trigger down to keep the motor going and it will shoot as fast as you want. I like the size and speed of the Milwaukee better. They just had a bad problem with jamming. I’m looking forward to the Milwaukee framing gun too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/23/2019 at 6:15 PM, Greg Gonzo said:

When purchasing 18 volt fuel tools, always buy 2 of the same tool. This way you might have a working tool while the other is in for repair. I have 4 screw guns, sawzal and skill saw. All the screw guns have the same issue trigger, sawzal has trigger issues. The skill saw works fine it has no run time. I use these tools professionally and dont have time to send tools in that only work for a short time. These are over priced JUNK!!!

Time to find a tool that actually works, any suggestions? 

Well, if Milwaukee is that poor of quality, maybe invest in some nice Black and Decker tools; I don't know, perhaps Drill Master?  

Considering the OP posted this September 23rd asking for suggestions and hasn't visited since, I wouldn't be surprised if this thread is merely a hit piece on Milwaukee.  Poor grammar and spelling, no qualitative comments, and most egregious of all emphasizing that M18 Fuel is JUNK!  A truly disappointed or angry person wouldn't recommend buying duplicate tools from the brand they despise, while an objective person would admit that maybe some user error or other factors are involved.

I've been visiting various "fanboy"--er, aficionado--sites for years: firearms, tools, knives, trucks, etc.  You know, sites where we come together to discuss common interests even while harboring an affection for certain brands over others (me? Smith & Wesson, GMC, Cold Steel, DeWalt, among others).  Throughout those years, I've seen too many posts like this where the OP badmouths a certain brand or type of product under the guise of seeking advice.  

If the OP is being honest, I apologize for your bad luck.  I've had one issue with my M18 Fuel tools, incidentally a trigger on the 2763 impact wrench.  I sent it in and got it back a week or so later.  Since then I've used both the standard and One-Key Fuel Sawzalls, the Gen 1 circular saw, and a few different driving tools (two M18 Brushless compact drills, Fuel Gen 2 drill and impact, One-Key impact, 2767 impact wrench, and I'm probably forgetting something here) as well as various lights and batteries up to the 9.0 HO without fail. 

With luck like yours (if you're being honest), buy multiple Ridgid tools and register them.  That way you're covered for life (including kitted batteries) while retaining the ability to earn money with your tools.  Oh, and even Octane tools are less expensive than their Fuel counterparts.

Yes

I was at a job yesterday where another contractor was using the DeWalt cordless brad gun.  It sounded like it had to wind up each time he pulled the trigger, and there was a delay between pulling the trigger and firing.
I’m guessing this is what they call ramp up time)
I thought it kinda sounded like a toy.

Thanks Don [emoji106] I'm sure I'll be picking this one up as most of my cordless tools are Milwaukee and Dewalt.
Appreciate the input and any other input is appreciated.
Hopefully I find a decent sale on it with the holiday season coming up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

I also have had trigger problems with my tools. On third vacuum, two impacts with bad triggers, a grease gun with bad trigger, saw with bad trigger, and two batteries less than 2 years old that won’t charge correctly. Kept buying the stuff because have so much invested but think it’s officially time to go yellow....

I have a new brushless drill and brushed multitool in this voltage. I will see if in time I like them as much as 18 v Makita tools.

But I have enjoyed my M12 brushed impact driver and brushless FUEL sawzaw. Great, professional tools I use on the job.

If I could have only 18 v LXT Makitas and compact 12 v Milwaukees, I would be just fine. The only drawback of Makita in my small town is that it’s not always easy to find them. Milwaukee is more easily found in any store near a job.