Fixing fences ..!!

Delwin_tom

Hey guys,

I'm residing in Ontario. The construction work of our new residence is going on. My wife is very fond of maintaining gardens, so she requested to build a fence around the garden area to keep it safe from wild creatures. So I searched for the different type of fences to consider, and I got stuck at forged fences. The elegant look of forged fences made me fall for that. So I'm thinking about placing forged fences around the garden. Today, I'm here seeking suggestions from the experts here. Do forged fences look good around the garden area? I know there is a wide variety of fences available, but I need a kind of long-time investment. I think forged fences is a good option in terms of this. And I'm thinking of approaching any forging manufactures to get a clear idea on the criteria and nuances that are necessarily taken into account when choosing a forged fence. Do anyone here have any experience with installing forged fences? Is it affordable installing these forged fences? What will be the estimated cost of construction? I would be grateful for your thoughts on this.

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum.

All the images I see for forged fences have this metalwork as part of a masonry wall, not sitting on or near the ground, such as around a garden.

The metal could be affected by rust, so raised and part of a masonry wall permits painting and ground separation. 

• Like 1

Forging is blacksmirhing. You can automate to some degree but it does not change the fact that forging is hammering low carbon steel or iron into shape. Since it develops laminations and grain structures it can be stronger than casting or extrusion but the cost is the slow process..

The only way you will get a forged fence is from a forge...blacksmith. They are around but there are as many blacksmiths today as in the 19th century. I would go to a living history museum site like colonial Williamsburg. What you are talking about is hundreds of hours of labor if you can find someone willing to do it. If you do it let your mind run wild because every part is hand made so no reason to be symmetrical and identical.

As to critters fences stop deer. In Kentucky they use a double fence 4-5 feet tall spaced about 6 feet apart on the million dollar horse farms. Deer are thrown off by trying to jump both fences so they don’t try. They use limestone dry stacked which is a nuisance in that area they just have to remove and stack up anyway. On deer farms they use 12-16 foot fences.

For rabbits dig 12 inches down and put in hardware cloth or chicken wire 3 feet tall so 2 feet is above grade. With birds same material over the top.

Or just use a green house. Or do what farmers do. Grow plenty of extra and hunt the local animal/food population too.

• 3 weeks later...

We have such a wrought-iron fence in our yard to protect the flower beds from the lawn. But unfortunately I can not help you with advice on how to install it and where you can order it. We recently moved to this house and it was already here. But it looks very beautiful.

fences.jpg.bacdc14702702d6c0d726c80db56edc5.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It would be awesome if they could do the same beautiful fences with electric fences as well. A friend of mine, who owns this website with the best electric fence chargers told me that model Parmak DF-SP-LI Solar is the best one on the market for nowadays. What do you think about it? It says that it сan be used up to long 25 miles. Do you think it's true?

• 4 months later...