Dewalt Nail Gun Conversion-

Doug Frederick

Dewalt Pneumatic nail guns- Any experts here?

The Situation- I'm a tool buyer/repair guy for a unique volunteer heritage restoration organization. We do museum quality restorations on an 135 year old narrow gauge railway. We built structures -and- railcars in period-correct materials, from the ground up. We're also a non-profit, surviving off donations.

https://www.cumbrestoltec.org/galleries/work-sessions.html

The Problem- I have an old Dewalt pneumatic D51822 nailgun that shoots clipped head nails. It looks a lot like our new 21d round head Dewalt nailgun. We can't use clipped head nails anymore. Buying a new one is a noticeable expense for us- Most of our tools are donated, understandably at the end of their normal service life.

The Question- Can this gun be converted to 21d Roundhead nails?

Appeal for advice- Is there any different forum or tech line that might be more suited to this question?

Thanks guys!

Doug Frederick, Chama, New Mexico

p.s.- I am not a carpenter. Five swings of a hammer cost me five fingernails.

file.php?id=14277&sid=84500c0ca0d517ba28

Fantastic and noble work you and your non profit do!  Assuming a conversion could be done at the very least it would require the nail magazine to be replaced and the cost would be prohibitive. I agree with @JakeDewalt look at the used market like Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, letgo, and offerup, or in my area we have Menards that currently is selling their house brand framer for just $70 and they do ship. https://www.menards.com/main/p-1444448120166.htm?utm_campaign=40A-2019&utm_content=Octoberfest&utm_source=flipp&utm_medium=flyer_hosted

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2019 at 9:54 PM, framer said:

you cant shoot paslode roundrive nails in that gun??  

I don't know. I've never fired a nailgun in my life.

All I know is that it takes "21 degree round head nails". I'll ask one of our contractors. We have several among our volunteer members. One of them had several Paslode guns.

In my job with this organization, I am frequently called on to repair tools and equipment I've never seen or used. Chinese staple guns, Miller migs, a '67 John Deere tractor, various band, table, and circular saws, and -numerous- extension cords that people place -over- the rails, instead of under them... 🙂 It's actually a lot of fun.

On this particular subject, I found out the Dewalt gun -can- be converted, from a D51825, to a D51850, but, as was pointed out earlier, it might not be cost effective. I'm waiting on some comprehensive parts diagrams, with actual part numbers, instead of "item numbers", with which to make a side-by-side comparison. Most of the gun parts -seem- the same, showing only minor differences in the nail magazine.

On a tangent subject, does anyone know the difference between a D51850 gun, and a DWF83PL gun? Both seem to use the same nails, and be similar in size, so I was wondering if one series is a "newer" model, or they have different characteristics of which I'm unaware.

On 9/29/2019 at 7:03 AM, Cr8ondt said:

Fantastic and noble work you and your non profit do!  Assuming a conversion could be done at the very least it would require the nail magazine to be replaced and the cost would be prohibitive. I agree with @JakeDewalt look at the used market like Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, letgo, and offerup, or in my area we have Menards that currently is selling their house brand framer for just $70 and they do ship. https://www.menards.com/main/p-1444448120166.htm?utm_campaign=40A-2019&utm_content=Octoberfest&utm_source=flipp&utm_medium=flyer_hosted

I took your advice on several levels. The Menards gun shoots 30-34d nails. I need 21d to fit our existing guns. One of the idiosyncrasies of this location is that the nearest Lowes or Home Depot is a 6 hour round-trip, so we have to keep inventory as narrow as possible. The nearest building supply store is in Pagosa Springs, which is a 3 hour round-trip. It's a great store, for a local mom-and-pop.

I've been hunting eBay for guns, and bought two used guns (Dewalts), a D51850 gun, and a DWF83PL. We already have (new) a DWF83PL.

On this particular subject, I found out the Dewalt gun -can- be converted, from a D51825, to a D51850, but, as you pointed out earlier, it might not be cost effective. I'm waiting on some comprehensive parts diagrams, with actual part numbers, instead of "item numbers", with which to make a side-by-side comparison. Most of the gun parts -seem- the same, showing only minor differences in the nail magazine.

Thanks again!

On 9/28/2019 at 7:13 PM, JakeDewalt said:

I don’t believe so that gun only shoots clipped head nails.

you can find a framing nailer cheap on Apps like offer up or Facebook marketplace

Jake, Hi!

If you have the time, could you tell me the difference between a DWF83PT and a DWF83PL or DWF83PLR gun?

I think our 3 other guns shoot plastic strip nails. Can I assume that plastic strip nails and paper strip nails are not interchangeable?

Thanks!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...